Rhubarb in overdrive?

• 5 Replies

thorpe001h

Rhubarb in overdrive?
« on: July 18, 2010, 15:59 »
Please can anyone give me some advice, I'm new to gardening and planted a crown of rhubarb at the start of the season. Its now grown huge, over a metre tall and probably 1.5 metres across, with loads to shots still starting to grow. Everything I've read says not to harvest it in the first year, however it is starting to take over the corner of our garden and putting everything else in the shade. 

Please does anyone know if it will do any harm to harvest some of the largest stalks this year or should I do as every book says and leave it to just grow this season?

Any suggestions will be greatfully received.

Dave Mack

• Zillionaire
Re: Rhubarb in overdrive?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 16:05 »
I planted mine the same time as you , over the last week its gone mental same as yours ... new shoots are still coming out of it ... but i'm just leaving mine to do its own thing this year  :)

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 16:10 »
It's tempting to take a few stalks, but resist. With the heat and rain, it's building a big root system right now, and to start picking will diminish this growth. Next year you should be able to start taking a few stalks.
And while you're looking, mark out the area the plant takes so next year's plantings of other veg/whatever won't be shaded by the leaves.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 16:13 »
I never harvest any at this time of year anyway as there is too much oxalic acid in it and it will give you a tummy ache  :(

JRRD

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 10:58 »
I never harvest any at this time of year anyway as there is too much oxalic acid in it and it will give you a tummy ache  :(

I've wondered about this..................

Is it just the overgrown pieces that have spent weeks stewing in their own oxalic acid that should be avoided or should I suppose that new shoots are also high in oxalic acid ?

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 17:08 »

xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen
xx
rhubarb help ???

Started by clarkey95 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 27, 2010, 23:54
by clarkey95
xx
Rhubarb

Started by spottymint on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 11:48
by spottymint
clip
Rhubarb

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 01, 2015, 19:34
by mdjlucan

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 39 queries.