Carrots - how to grow?

• 10 Replies

Zippy

Carrots - how to grow?
« on: May 07, 2010, 18:18 »
I have light sandy soil on the lotty and have tried direct sowing - not one has come up.

I tried sowing singly into toilet rolls - limited success.

The thing is i would have thought Carrots should be one of the easiest things to grow but I find better success with Parsnips!

I know about keeping Carrot Fly off and all that but how to get the damn things to germinate would be a good start.

Manlea1

• Experienced Member
Re: Carrots - how to grow?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 18:25 »
Im having a hard time myself with carrots so your not alone  :(

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 18:38 »
Hi mine took about 25 days to germinate, now they are up and away and looking very good. Sorry can`t help more this is my first year on the allotment.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 19:23 »
It sounds daft but I try not to even look for at least two weeks, they are like the proverbial watched pot. They can take a very long time but keep the soil moist and they should show eventually
Rachael

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 19:42 »
Yup, parsnip, carrot, and parsley are all from the same plant family and are all slow germinators, especially in the less than ideal conditions we are experiencing at the moment.

Don't despair; they'll make it eventually (as will something resembling summer!  8) )
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jimmytheshed

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 19:59 »
Carrots came up fine last year, then the carrot fly got them  :mad:this year i thought i would grow the under fleece 2weeks after i sowed them they were all up, lovely i thought, i will leave the fleece on no fly will get in there :D. Thought i might have a weed though then today, lifted the fleece to find only a feww carrots and a few stumpy carrot tops :mad: If its not the fly its the slugs! One day i WILL  grow a good crp of carrots.

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 20:20 »
After sowing keep the seed bed moist(one of kitchen garden magazines best tips) i usually water lightly every day till the seeds come through then i dont bother again.
Cover with an enviromesh cloche when you sow and use slug pellets as soon as you see the carrots showing as i found out the hard way myself.

skywalker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 20:31 »
Is there an effective more organic method than slug pellets I have had the same problem. As soon as they are up the slugs move in  :(
The force is strong in this one!
(As Organic as possible)

Zippy

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 07:19 »
Hmmm - sounds like organic slug pellets you need young Skywalker! get rid of slugs they do without the birds harming they do.

Manlea1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 07:25 »
Is there an effective more organic method than slug pellets I have had the same problem. As soon as they are up the slugs move in  :(

Beer traps  :)

Ivah

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 10:51 »
I don't reckon you can use slug pellets after they show. I used to think I couldn't grow Carrots then years ago I noticed a nicely germinated row one evening were completely missing the next morning so ever since then I have sown, watered, pelleted and covered with mesh. It is a bit of a pain renewing the pellets if it rains much before they are through, not a problem this year, but the combination of mesh and pellets now means Carrots are reliable. The new Organic Approved Ferric Phosphate pellets are magic!
'Nullius in verba' - 'Take nobody's word for it'

xx
He says I cant grow carrots?? !!

Started by keepers_cottage on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 20:27
by DavidT
xx
how do i grow carrots?

Started by monkeyboysee on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 16, 2009, 09:28
by peapod
xx
how best to grow carrots

Started by Ockers on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 21:42
by Yorkie
xx
what can I grow with my carrots in sand?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 05, 2012, 17:50
by Angelathers

Page created in 0.381 seconds with 39 queries.