It ain't half cold mum!

• 21 Replies

Goosegirl

It ain't half cold mum!
« on: April 26, 2019, 14:35 »
This year's weather is going to be very interesting for plants because one minute you're in thermals, the next in shorts, back to thermals, back to shorts, getting a tan, and watering like billy-o with a cooling fan on in the main room, then the thermals have to come out yet again! I'm currently sat in front of my convector heater with a nice fire going in the main room whilst the rain is dripping down the windows. So far all my plants in the g-house are doing ok but may have just been set back a bit, but I'm certainly not going out to check!  :wacko:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

AlaninCarlisle

Re: It ain't half cold mum!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 15:17 »
We're well to the north of you, but it's very similar here. Cool breeze with light rain. Tomorrow cooler still at 8C and heavier rain but nothing to worry my tomato plants. They should be OK and stuff like cucumbers and courgettes are not even in the propagator yet

Christine

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 15:40 »
Be very sorry for any plants outside. Be very sorry indeed. They can't turn the heating on when the temperature suddenly drops or go indoors when the wind gets up.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 15:48 »
My veg (including cucumbers and courgettes) and some flower seeds were sown well over a month ago and kept in my covered mini g-house inside the main one and I put a max-min thermometer inside it so I can keep a check on temps and so far it's worked rather well. Some plants may have been set back a bit and so have I gardening-wise, but all should be well with some decent and reliable weather.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 15:57 »
Be very sorry for any plants outside. Be very sorry indeed. They can't turn the heating on when the temperature suddenly drops or go indoors when the wind gets up.
I'm so glad I've followed my instincts because I had a feeling that temps would go a little bit astray this year so I've only got my pots and onions sets planted outside and the rest can wait until it gets warmer. All is doing very well in there so I'm not taking any chances whatsoever.

madcat

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 20:17 »
It is the lumps of ice that comer out of the sky that I am particularly objecting to!  5 mins of hail cools things down and does some damage ...  Grr.  :mad: :mad:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 20:32 »
yes only got pots and onions planted on plot but have brassica's hardening off in the garden. Just checked temp in the G/h and it's 12 so brought seedling cues and courgette in the house in case temp dive down.
peppers and toms should be OK as it is sheltered
Tell me and I,ll forget,Show me and I might
remember,Involve me and I,ll understand

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 21:34 »
Geraniums and bizzie lizzies, toms, courgette, sweet corn, last years plants etc', all happy in the GH so far... the electric heater kicks in just above freezing, and has done for about a dozen years, so fingers crossed it does the same this year...

Sweet peas already out and yearning for the light, they seem to enjoy it!

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 12:58 »
I've still got to erect my sugar-snap plastic fences and find somewhere to plant my burgeoning sweet peas but storm Whatever has put paid to that at the moment.  :wacko:

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 14:42 »
Plastic fence for peas? Is this a proprietary thing we can buy or it, like mine a home-made contraption?

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 23:43 »
Wind wreaking havoc as usual down here on the south coast... guy opposites greenhouse frame blew across some plots, thankfully missing my Garlic and Shallots bed.

My broad beans and mangetout were looking a bit windbeaten so I've gone round and brayed pairs of galvanised metal bars into the ground and slotted scaffolding boards into them to act as a windbreak. Hopefully theyll still be there next week!

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 12:44 »
Plastic fence for peas? Is this a proprietary thing we can buy or it, like mine a home-made contraption?
It's just clematis netting supported by green plastic canes which I got from a local farm and garden shop because they'll last far longer than bamboo ones. I thread the first cane in and out of every 3 or 4 holes, shove it down into the soil, then keep doing the same until I reach the end. I usually only do one fence but this year I got a bigger roll so I can make another one to support the peas when the winds and /or growth make them flop over. Mmmmm, sugar-snaps!   :lol:

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 19:48 »
Clematis netting, eh? Great idea and much easier than the steel wire-netting I've been using

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 12:46 »
It's also a lot easier to cut to length and the plastic covering is more kind to the stems when they climb up.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 13:31 »
Thanks for the tip. Just  bought a roll from Homebase this morning

xx
half potato half tomato plant??

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 00:16
by bonfire
xx
How cold is too cold for spuds in the shed?

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 21, 2022, 20:33
by Nobbie
xx
HALF WAY>

Started by wapello on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 21, 2019, 15:14
by theothermarg
xx
Half Barrel

Started by vanessa.xx on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 24, 2013, 07:38
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 53 queries.