Beef Dripping

• 14 Replies

Dopey113

Beef Dripping
« on: July 24, 2012, 17:28 »
Is it possible to make it, but tasty so you can spread it on bread.... you know like the old days  :lol:

And I know its not good for you
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

Mrs Bee

Re: Beef Dripping
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 17:51 »
Ah, now there is some debate going on as to wether or not naturally occuring fat is actually as bad as had been previously thought.

I think some of the current thinking is also that the fat in dairy is actually good for us.

However if you want some dripping you need to roast some beef or pork first and  drain all the fat and juices from the pan and leave them to set. Make sure you season the meat well first before you roast it.

That is all I do.
I expect others will come with other ways. Always more than one way to cook a tart.

I wouldn't recommend using lamb as that fat goes too hard to spread.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 17:56 »

but it's the tastiest IMO  :D

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 18:02 »

but it's the tastiest IMO  :D

Yeah, when it is lukewarm it is, but after it has gone cold it is just hard and greasy.

TBH I like the jelly underneath but can't really get fired up about the fat. I use it for roasting potatoes.

Dopey113

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 13:45 »
I just remember the dripping being brown.. maybe its because they mix it all up after its settled? I know on some joints of meat they add a strip of fat to the top of it ( that shouldn't be there) so it bastes, next time i will get some rib eye beef and try it  like you suggest, and then mix it all up so it should then go brown... I will give that a try

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 13:58 »

However if you want some dripping you need to roast some beef or pork first and  drain all the fat and juices from the pan and leave them to set. Make sure you season the meat well first before you roast it.

That is all I do.

I agree, but I would favour a nice 4 rib of beef or a goose, if I was going to make dripping. :)

Its the meat juices and jellies and burnt caramelised bits mixing in to the fat that make it brown.  :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 15:12 »
Ah, now there is some debate going on as to wether or not naturally occuring fat is actually as bad as had been previously thought.

Nahhh why bother, who cares anyway it tastes good.

I've never found a good way of keeping a nice meat juice to fat balance onces its gone cold. I pour some (but not all) of the fat off and have at it with crusty bread whilst its hot, the rest gets put in the gravy.

My old man used to just spoon the liquid from under the fat layer onto toast after it cooled.

I wonder if you kept the fat moving during its cooling time it would disperse the juices within the fat?

Mrs Bee

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 15:19 »

That is all I do.

I agree, but I would favour a nice 4 rib of beef or a goose, if I was going to make dripping. :)

Its the meat juices and jellies and burnt caramelised bits mixing in to the fat that make it brown.  :D

Ah, well now you're talking! :D

I have never thought of moving the fat and juices together Lardman, it might work, although if all the juices are hot the fat will rise to the surface.

I suppose if you did it as it cooled it would work.

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 15:51 »
I suppose if you did it as it cooled it would work.

patent pending  :lol: Now where's a chemist to talk colloids to.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 18:23 »
I think that the dripping you used to get on a joint years ago was far superior to the strip of reattached fat that you get these days.

Maybe a proper joint from the butcher without the fat and sinew trimmed off would would be what we used to have years ago...  my belly's rumbling and my mouth salivating now at the thought of it!  BRB; I'm off to find a late night butchers! :lol:

Spana

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 18:53 »
When i was a child all the adults in our house had supper about 10.00pm. The usual supper was bread and dripping with a big pot of tea.

Dripping would be spread on big chunks of crusty bloomer,everyone would take a very small amount of jelly and carefully spread that over the dripping. It then got a sprinkling of salt.

Beef  was always the favourite but the dripping from  every roast   just went into the same pot.

Now, when we have a bullock done, which incidentally will be this Friday,i render down the big lumps of fat in a very slow oven and set it in patty trays then freeze. I only use these for roast veg. If we want dripping for toast i usually have plenty from roast joints as i like the joints butchered to give nice big joints about 8-10 lb. :happy:

grendel

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 19:28 »
my parents always had the dripping pot in the fridge, the potatoes would be cooked i it, it would be spread on bread, and any roasts would contribute to the dripping pot
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

wighty

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 20:59 »
you are making me feel really ill.  I can't think of anything more disgusting.  At that time of the year we are not allowed to mention yet(!)  it's one of Paul's favourite treats!  But he does have to take himself of to a far corner of the house so that I don't know about it until after the event.  I have just asked and he prefers the jelly type bit.

Spana

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 21:30 »
you are making me feel really ill.  I can't think of anything more disgusting. 

:D

My father use to drink the water the cabbage was cooked in, just the thought of it makes me feel very queasy

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 16:12 »
you are making me feel really ill.  I can't think of anything more disgusting.  At that time of the year we are not allowed to mention yet(!)  it's one of Paul's favourite treats!  But he does have to take himself of to a far corner of the house so that I don't know about it until after the event.  I have just asked and he prefers the jelly type bit.

You don't know what you're missing, Wighty!!  My guilty pleasure is to grab a little chunk of bread whilst I'm cooking the roast and dip it into the mixed dripping and juices before separating them out to make the gravy with the juices alone.  

I do have to admit that pure bread and [cold] dripping is quite hardcore!!  But being a northern lass, my grandma always had a glazed pot with a lid (with the word 'Dripping' printed on it) which she kept in the fridge and topped up each time.  And a favourite treat when me and my sister went to stay was crispy grilled bacon served with the dripping and cubes of home made bread to mop it up with ... ooooh, making my mouth water!!  :D

xx
Clarifying dripping

Started by Kleftiwallah on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2021, 18:06
by JacsH
xx
muntjac chews the fat , or lard or dripping ,

Started by muntjac on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post February 16, 2007, 22:31
by muntjac
xx
Corned beef

Started by Steveharford on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post January 29, 2015, 16:51
by Elvira
xx
beef tongue

Started by celtbhoy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post April 11, 2007, 22:33
by celtbhoy

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 36 queries.