ants in compost bin

• 20 Replies

Kirpi

Re: ants in compost bin
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 08:27 »
This reminds me of two people on the street corner having a conversation - one says they dont know what they are going to do about their ants over the weekend.

The other one says, "If the Nippon doesn't work, they usually pour boiling water down their holes and that usually gets rid of 'em".

The first person looked horrified, until realising the second person was talking about ants - not aunts!

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 10:55 »
I had a large bag of compost from the garden centre that I bought earlier in the year, I put it in the greenhouse.   I went to use it yesterday and the whole bag was one large ants nest!   I cannot move it by myself with so many ants inside... so I will have to wait until they decide to emmigrate!

You could pour boiling water into the bag to kill it all off.  Not nice, but at least it would resolve the issue faster.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 11:06 »
We have had ants in the house this year just in at the side of the patio door...I sealed up a crack under the doors cill and put one of the nippon ant traps down....all activity has ceased  within a couple of days so the trap things do work. Outside I would just use ant powder.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 11:10 by Plottered »
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

compostqueen

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 11:17 »
Ants are ok in the bin and will break the contents up for you

Your bin has to be natural and full of life so don't go killing it by adding chemicals

auntyfifi

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2012, 13:11 »
Think I will let nature take its course, if they are going to do more good than harm, I see no probs and really dont fancy putting anything chemical in there if I am going to use it on my veggies next year.
Thanksagain for the input xxxx  :) :)

compostqueen

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2012, 13:39 »
Ah yes, no nasties in your bin please.  I got a rat in mine and everyone suggested poison but I kept wetting it to drown the varmint out. It worked.  They don't like a wet bed

It's a living, breathing life force which teems with all manner of insect, worms, ants, woodlice etc all working at breaking down the organic matter for you.  Mice do a good job of aerating your heap or bin for you too so don't be quick to evict those.  You know when you have mice as the heap will look as it it's been chopped up small, it looks smooth and there are holes in it like a Swiss cheese.  Plus mousey looks startled when you take off the lid :D

xx
Ants in my compost

Started by stu_wat on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 31, 2007, 11:30
by richyrich7
xx
Ants in the compost

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2021, 15:49
by Anton
xx
ants in my compost bin

Started by davef on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 06, 2011, 18:23
by Yorkie
xx
ants in compost

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 20, 2015, 10:35
by ptarmigan

Page created in 0.538 seconds with 35 queries.