Cucumbers!

• 8 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Cucumbers!
« on: August 04, 2006, 23:14 »
I have just found 2 cucumbers which I hadn't noticed before.  (old age creeping up!)  They are both 8 inches long and one weighs 2lb 2ozs and the other weighs 2lb 4ozs!!!!

I'me just going to put a photo on the allotment album!

wellingtons

Wow ...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 14:47 »
... I've just picked my first cucumber ever!!

I wish I could find the packet of seeds though because it's delicious.   A slight yellow tinge to the skin and it has a really tangy, almost lemon tartness to it.

Only about 6 inches long though, so not worthy of a photo!

Oliver

Re: Wow ...
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 14:57 »
Quote from: "wellingtons"
..  about 6 inches long though, so not worthy of a photo!

It may be one of the small varieties so let's have a photo! and if you find the packet let's know the name too please!

Her cumumbers are HUGE - Telegraph Improved - in the poly - about 18" long. Take a lot of eating and after about 12 inches they get bitter. Probably keeping them in the fridge too long. So they also make good compost.

The other kind - Crystal Apple, also in the poly, turn out to be outdoor types, but hey are very tasty. They have a yellow skin and look like an apple. She picks them when they ar as big as a tennis ball. The plant has lots more fruit on it so it seems to be very prolific. She takes off everyother one on the shoot.  We have to se if they mature.
Oliver
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

GrannieAnnie

Cucumbers!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 21:27 »
Its not Country Fair is it Wellingtons?  I have some of those.  They are about 6 inches long with a yellow tinge at the end, mind you, if you don't see them they end up about 6 inches ACROSS too!!! I know, I've picked some!!!!!

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
Cucumbers!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 07:50 »
I have just picked my first two cues from the greenhouse.  They are telegraph and are around 13 inches long. (see my personal gallery for picture).
Sweet tasting and delicious.  We have about 10 further baby ones in the greenhouse and about half that on the two ridges outside.  Guess I will have to get the pickling jars out again.
Grannieannie and wellingtons don't be sad at the size of your cucumbers as they do vary by variety and growing conditions.  The real important thing is the taste and they fact that YOU grew them.
Rugbymad40
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

hayles62

• Experienced Member
Crystal cues.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 10:17 »
A couple of years ago for a bit of fun I grew some round ones called Crystal Cuecumbers they were very pretty and tasted nice but had little prickley bits on them that you had to rub off. It was a nice summer but I put some in the next year and the summer wasn't so nice and I was disapointed but will try them again when I get my allotment as I'll have room to experiment. I'd be interested of others experience with them.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Cucumbers!
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 10:33 »
My favourite cucumber is Burpless Tasty Green - seeds from B&Q. They are prickly but I don't like cucumber skin anyway, so peeling is normal.
We bought a cucumber earlier this year and were amazed how we had paid good money got some tasteless watery mush.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

wellingtons

OK ...
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 11:19 »
... I found the packet.  They are Bush Champion F1 ... and it says a high quality slicing variety that gives high yields (is one a high yield?  I think not!) of crisp bright green firuits which average 11cm!

Well in my opinion they are crisp, yellowy citrus green with a lovely fresh lemony taste.  Worth growing but only if I get more than one cucumber a year!

GrannieAnnie

Cucumbers!
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 21:04 »
Did I sound sad Rugbymad?   No, the Country Fair are meant to be a smaller variety.  They are very tasty, but I find the skins a bit tough, and OH is like John, doesn't like the skins anyway, even though I make him eat them as they are good for him!!!!!

But my best ones so far are....... Burpless tasty green!!  You are right John, they are delicious aren't they?  I bought a packet of 8 seeds from Edwin Tuckers of a variety called Hana.  They are lovely tasting, but only 2 seeds germinated.  I gave one to SIL and the one I kept has only had 1 cucumber on it, but there is another one coming.

But got cues coming out of my ears too at the moment, so definitely not sad, just running out of friends to give them to!  I've pickled 6 jars of them, and am going to make some piccallilli using some, also some cold cucumber soup!!!   Any other ideas greatly appreciated!!!!!!

xx
cucumbers not producing any cucumbers

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2014, 09:37
by Springlands
xx
Cucumbers

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 19:23
by willnbirdie
xx
Cucumbers

Started by MyAchingBack on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 16, 2013, 19:16
by gazza975526570
xx
CUCUMBERS!

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 05, 2009, 21:18
by rink123

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 39 queries.