Ants in Compost

• 4 Replies

AndyArch

Ants in Compost
« on: June 19, 2014, 13:04 »
Hi,

I have a large wooden compost bin split into two, in one I have compost that is almost ready and in the other I am adding all the veg waste/rabbit bedding etc to replenish.

In the side with the nearly ready compost I noticed last night that it is crawling with ants  :ohmy: and what looks like maggots (tiny white/cream bugs that are about the size of a small pea).

Is this normal or do I need to treat it with something, my plans are to dig it into the soil in the autumn to further improve the plot.

Any opinions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
Re: Ants in Compost
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 13:18 »
It's normal at this time of year.  I emptied a dalek compost bin a couple of weeks ago and it was just the same; lots of ants, and several large slugs too.

I tipped as much of the wildlife as I could back into the bottom of the composter, to get the next lot off to a flying start, and the compost got dug in to help feed the squashes.  :)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 13:38 »
Not sure about the maggots, but if you give it a good water,  the ants should move out (they don't like being disturbed).  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 14:11 »
The larvae will probably be ant larvae - there are certainly dozens if not hundreds of different types of bugs which make compost heaps their home during different stages of the composting process, and similar numbers of moulds and fungi too!  :ohmy:

All perfectly normal, and mostly they disappear from 'finished' compost, although ants do like dry, undisturbed places. Seems to shame to disturb them and spoil all their hard work if you don't need the compost until autumn!  :unsure: ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 15:28 »
I have ants in the greenhouse this year, and I left to part full bags of MPC in there and they're both riddled in ants and larvae ::)

I'm grateful however that for the first year in about 8 theyre not invading my kitchen!! :D

xx
Ants in my compost

Started by stu_wat on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 31, 2007, 11:30
by richyrich7
xx
Ants in the compost

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2021, 15:49
by Anton
xx
ants in my compost bin

Started by davef on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 06, 2011, 18:23
by Yorkie
xx
ants in compost bin

Started by auntyfifi on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 16, 2012, 13:39
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 37 queries.