horsetail

• 15 Replies

wasthiswise

• Prettiest Pumpkin Grower - 2013
  • Experienced Member
horsetail
« on: September 21, 2013, 19:22 »
Just been offered another plot that is positively carpeted in horsetail. I have no interest in a chemical solution so please dont suggest one. I've read some of the other threads round here about dealing with it and know this is a serious problem. The conclusion for long term eradication seems to be digging it out (within reason) and endless hoeing.

What I'd like to know is how effective would it be if I covered with weed suppressant fabric and left for say 2 years or even more. To what extent would that kill it off?

Aside from the horsetail the soil looks to be in really good shape. The plots either side have horsetail too but to a much lesser degree; they're obviously being actively managed by their owners but the one offered to me looks like its been unattended for at least a year. And the plot has some other things in that would be nice not least a couple of fruit trees that look well established.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: horsetail
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 19:41 »
To answer your question - it would just grow up again, from the deep roots, when you uncover it.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 19:53 »
I can vouch for that,and it can grow through it & around it,dig & hoe,dig & hoe,dig & hoe. Do you get the picture :tongue2:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 20:14 »
Horsetail is a prehistoric plant and thus thrives in soil similar to the conditions that were around during that time ie. low oxygen, low nutrient and acidic soil. Tackling these issues will help your horsetail problem. So whilst you are digging and hoeing it keep that in mind.

adding lots of organic matter and adding calcified seaweed is my plan of attack along with digging out as much of the root as I can and hoeing any new growth before it gets over 10cm. The calcified seaweed acts in a similar way to lime ie makes the soil more alkaline and also adds lots of trace elements. Digging and adding lots of organic matter should open up the soil (increasing oxygen) and increase the nutrients in the soil.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 20:18 by Eightball »

diospyros

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 20:17 »
Plant fruit, mow and make fertiliser of it!

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 20:26 »
and yes as disopyros said you can make festiliser out of it. Everything has its uses. Boil the stuff and simmer for about 30 mins in unchlorinated water. Allow to cool and then strain all the liquid into a bottle (ive read it keeps for about a month). You use this stuff about 1 part horsetail solution to 5-10 parts water and its very good for combating things like powdery mildew and other fungal diseases. Although its illegal to use fungicdes without EU approval so we shall call this a fertiliser instead :D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 20:33 by Eightball »

wasthiswise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 22:06 »
Thanks for the replies. Surely the dreaded weed must die at some point if starved of light for long enough. But how long?

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 02:10 »
It doesn't die, that's the point. That's why it's survived millions of years.

If it was me, I'd ask for another plot, one without horsetail.

diospyros

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 08:49 »
It doesn't die, that's the point. That's why it's survived millions of years.

If it was me, I'd ask for another plot, one without horsetail.

If it was me I would ask for it free for a year in exchange for trying to get rid of the stuff!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 10:34 »

Nobbie

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 11:42 »
Thanks for the replies. Surely the dreaded weed must die at some point if starved of light for long enough. But how long?

The roots have an extensive coverage and although your plot might be covered, a connected bit can pop up elsewhere to keep the root network alive until you uncover it again. Dig out all the root you can see and then keep the hoe busy. You only need to weaken it as it's no real competition to healthy crops in good ground. On my new plot it was worst in the boggy compacted bit, but was outcompeted by the grass and docks elsewhere :lol:

wasthiswise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 12:56 »
Thanks for all the replies. I was looking at using some of the horsetail infested area for currant and gooseberry bushes. If I were to cover this area with say a double thickness of a good weed suppressant fabric e.g mylex how effective would that be at keeping it down? Idea would be to have the cover there permanently. To what extent is horsetail capable of growing through fabric?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 14:13 »
It will grow through woven fabric  >:(

It did on my raised bed.  But I think not to the extent it would have grown without the fabric.

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 15:13 »
Sweetheart - it can grow through tarmac and possibly concrete too!  :ohmy: I have it (apart from some other garden areas) in a raised bed covered with polythene and gravel. You can trace back and hoick out the roots with a bit of persistant and gentle hand forking which I have found helpful in reducing its appearance. I can actually trace some of the surface roots under the polythene, but deeply sympathize with you.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

ruralblue

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 20:46 »
Sweetheart - it can grow through tarmac and possibly concrete too!  :ohmy: I have it (apart from some other garden areas) in a raised bed covered with polythene and gravel.

Very true. They built a large row of houses by us at the end of a field, it was riddled with Horsetail. The builders just dug it in when preparing the land, it was pointed out what would happen. Nobody took notice and two of the houses have had it grow into their kitchen!!!

xx
Horsetail

Started by Chris Anderson on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post August 01, 2021, 23:54
by meterman
xx
Horsetail

Started by flowergirl on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 08:35
by Kristen
sad
horsetail

Started by paul sadler on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 20, 2017, 12:10
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Horsetail

Started by M0rph3u5 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 11, 2008, 12:40
by M0rph3u5

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 36 queries.