Advice Needed!

• 1 Replies

Carshay

Advice Needed!
« on: October 12, 2011, 13:13 »
In June I bought some fertile eggs from a forum member who said he was a cream legbar breeder. 3 eggs duly hatched - one chick very pale coloured (the boy) and two with very dark stripes down their backs ( the girls). In fact exactly what I wanted! BUT they have grown up at 15weeks into 3 boys. I have been told that they were not pure bred as I had been led to believe so the autosexing gene had been thrown out of kilter. I messaged the chap who sold me them to find out if this was the case but as yet have had no reply. (Being of a charitable nature maybe he is on holiday!) I'm not really complaining as I've enjoyed watching them grow but now want a couple more girls. What I need to know is - at the moment the boys are sleeping in the broody pen altho they are with the girls during the day. If I shut them out of the pen will they go in at night with the girls quite happily or will there be mayhem? I would like to keep one of the boys and intend to dispatch the other two when they are big enough for eating so would like to keep them all at the mo. Also when they get to the fighting stage can I still keep them together if I put spectacles on them? I need the broody pen to put any new girls in for a while until they have been well and truly inspected by the current residents.
Sorry this is so long but would appreciate advice.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Re: Advice Needed!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 13:52 »
If you intend to use two for meat it might be best just to move the one you want to keep. Then you could keep the meat birds on growers and corn to fatten them up a bit.

question
Help needed please... advice on chicks needed

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 17:26
by Sassy
xx
hen very wet advice needed please

Started by chech221 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 08, 2009, 20:11
by poultrygeist
xx
Egg advice needed

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 18, 2008, 20:51
by matilda duck
xx
Your advice needed

Started by meterman on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2008, 09:26
by meterman

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 36 queries.