lonely hen

• 4 Replies

snowy

lonely hen
« on: May 04, 2009, 09:38 »
I had five hens, two have been eaten by the fox last week.  Leaving me with two very little ones and one large laying hen.  She will not leave the little ones alone so I have had to put her on her own.  I feel very sorry for her, is it unfair to have a sole chicken and could i put her back with the little ones and let them sort out the pecking order? Mind you she really scares the other two who are surposed to be pol but I think will not be laying for at least ten weeks may be more I think I was really done!  But the main thing is keeping them all happy.  Also the big hen has started to eat her eggs.  It is all going horribly wrong, I have had various chickens since september and probably got two dozen eggs in all?!
Any help would be great - thanks!

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
Re: lonely hen
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 10:00 »
If you can put another run next to your lonely chook with the two young ones in they will get used to each other because they can see each other but come to no harm.

Do you let them free range?

snowy

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 12:01 »
Hi
Thanks for your reply  the fox has solved the problem and eaten my two young chickens over the week-end.  My ark is arriving this week andybody know where i can get some new reasonably priced chickens from around warwickshire?
Thanks

happychickens

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 13:20 »
Hi - Sorry to hear about your hens - my last two hybrids died and in our local paper we had a sale in the auction section and its called a feather and fur sale which we have just been to and bought five new birds, 4 girls and 1 boy, they had some lovely hybrids that went for £10 for 5 in a cage, we bought 3 sussex crosses for £20, but some sussex went for £75 for three!! arghh - good luck (I only got some more because felt sorry for my young one on her own as well.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 16:42 »
oh, snowy. poor you!
 :(

xx
Lonely Hen

Started by yorkylover on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2013, 08:24
by joyfull
xx
Lonely Hen

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 27, 2011, 13:54
by nerdle
xx
my lonely little banti

Started by lucylou on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 09:44
by Hensington
xx
Lonely bantam

Started by thechicken on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 02, 2015, 09:59
by thechicken

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 38 queries.