Allotment hedges - rules

• 3 Replies

robinahood

• Experienced Member
Allotment hedges - rules
« on: July 02, 2018, 18:08 »
I've had my plot for 16 months and all had been well, it has hedges on all sides and the rules say it should be 5ft next to the lane and 6 ft on the other sides. When we took it on all the hedges were massively taller than that and we did a lot of work on them to get them to that height. I even planted some Hawthorn in any gaps. The only part which is still taller is the top corner which is adjoined by 2 vacant plots.
Anyway, I have had a letter saying I will be kicked off if I don't sort it by 14th July. I wouldn't mind as I know it's in the contract, but literally NOBODY else's hedge fits the requirements, and clearly haven't for years! Is there a hidden agenda to take back the land? It is leased. I will be interested to see if there is a sudden rush to reduce the hedges by everyone else. Anyway, rant over!

Goosegirl

Re: Allotment hedges - rules
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 12:44 »
That's not on and neither is giving you just under a fortnight to sort it out! Surely you are only responsible for your plot area and have complied with the rules re- reducing the hedge height and the lane side should be the council's responsibility. I'd take some pics of all the plots and speak to whoever sent you the letter to ask for an explanation.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 16:50 »
Yes I’d respond as goosey says & also tell them what you told us, 2 weeks in this weather is unreasonable. Do you see any other allotment holders to ask if they’ve received a letter
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 18:45 »
Luckily I have kept photos since the day we took the plot over, it is a big area and was really in  bad state (as well as the hedges I had to demolish 2 sheds and  a greenhouse which were beyond repair and clear loads of rubbish) - I knew what I was taking on but I work full time and as you say, getting this done in this weather won't be a pleasure!
We sometimes see the others on our lane so I will ask if I do.
Hubby is going to ring and find out the score so I will keep you informed!

xx
Broken the Covid Rules

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

98 Replies
Last post August 24, 2020, 17:28
by James frond
xx
new driving rules [highway code]

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

22 Replies
Last post February 12, 2022, 18:16
by jezza
xx
Pooh Sticks - they've changed the rules!

Started by DanielCoffey on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 14:38
by mumofstig
xx
new to me allotment

Started by Debz on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2018, 19:39
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 42 queries.