Garlic from Seed

• 2 Replies

chris mutter

Garlic from Seed
« on: September 06, 2020, 18:28 »
I have a Garlic that grew, but with the lack of water started going to seed, I covered the head with a Plastic bag to catch the seeds if they feel off. The seed head grew into a Bloom like Flower, which I have now removed. Not sure if I have done the right thing, but saying I have is it possible to Plant the seeds. Now when do I plant a seed or even how do I plant the seed. Any advice will be taken onboard Thank you Chris.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Garlic from Seed
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 20:30 »
It's rare to get viable 'true seed' from garlic (something to do with genetics) but sometimes the flower heads do produce small bulbils that you can plant.
If you have those, plant them and then next year each plant will grow a single bulb/round clove which you have to plant and grow for another year, before it grows big enough to split into cloves.
It's up to you whether you think it's worth waiting 2 years to get edible cloves ...

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Garlic from Seed
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 22:15 »
It's rare to get viable 'true seed' from garlic (something to do with genetics) but sometimes the flower heads do produce small bulbils that you can plant.
If you have those, plant them and then next year each plant will grow a single bulb/round clove which you have to plant and grow for another year, before it grows big enough to split into cloves.
It's up to you whether you think it's worth waiting 2 years to get edible cloves ...

You do get a decent amount of bulbils though, so if you plan ahead and work on a two year rota it works out to be very economical.

xx
Garlic seed

Started by daveym on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 14, 2007, 15:57
by Starchy
xx
what to do with garlic which has gone to seed

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 13, 2015, 22:07
by DD.
xx
garlic gone to seed

Started by doubledug on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 12:33
by mumofstig
xx
Garlic - Going to seed?

Started by grendel on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 29, 2013, 20:03
by LilacSandy

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 43 queries.