cleaning out the coop

• 2 Replies

magicfairy

cleaning out the coop
« on: June 13, 2011, 21:41 »
I have had our ladies now for 4 months and I think I have got our cleaning schedule sussed.  I poo pick daily, change the sawdust weekly, wash down the inside monthly and change straw monthly (unless gotten soiled)

My question is: When washing down the inside is it worth using something like poultry shield?  I have had no signs of mites or fleas or anything like that but I am thinking maybe prevention is better than cure.

I try to avoid all chemicals in everyday life, is poultry shield chemical based?  If so are there any natural alternatives?

orchardlady

Re: cleaning out the coop
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 22:12 »
I'm no scientist but a I understand it Poultry Shield is a detergent that breaks down the waxy coating of red mite and so the mite desiccates (dries out). It has no residual effect, so in other words once dry it will have no effect on any parasites. I think it is excellent stuff but I cannot think of anything 'natural' that would do the job apart from diatomaceous  earth that is  the shells of millions of tiny sea creatures that if looked at through a microscope look like shards of glass. As the mite walks across it it cuts the waxy coating of the mite and it desiccates. I would suggest as a preventative you mix up a slurry of diatomaceous earth with either water or Poultry Shield and a good squirt of washing up liquid. Make it the consistency of thick pouring custard or gloss paint. Then 'paint' the inside of your hen house and nest boxes, fill in every nook and cranny. You will get it everywhere including all over yourself but it dries very quickly and brushes off clothes easily. Choose a warm dry day to do this and pay particular attention to perches and perch ends. I've found that this is an excellent preventative and is easy to do and easy to 'touch up'.

Best wishes.

Orchardlady

themagicaltoad1

Re: cleaning out the coop
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 23:34 »
I've never washed the inside of my coop :blink: like you, I poo pick daily and change the shavings every wk or 2 depending on how badly soiled it is. The coop was new when I bought it and I've never been troubled by redmite or lice, I check it regularly. Maybe I've just had 2 yrs of good luck?

ps I like your name, we should get together lol :D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 23:39 by themagicaltoad1 »

xx
cleaning the coop

Started by chelseablue on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 11, 2008, 23:15
by jammy
xx
cleaning coop

Started by bigaky on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 04, 2011, 22:32
by orchardlady
xx
Cleaning the coop

Started by Rangerkris on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 06:59
by Rangerkris
xx
Cleaning out the coop

Started by debih on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 19:52
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 36 queries.