new hens won't go in the hen house.

• 6 Replies

rdcuthbert

new hens won't go in the hen house.
« on: August 16, 2011, 08:24 »
hello,

I have 2 old girls who have started laying less (1 egg/day between them - not sure which one is laying) so bought a couple of end-of-season pullets to go with them.  Lots of bullying going on as expected, though nothing too fatal - my new girls are nifty runners!  

I have a small henhouse with a run attached.  The two old girls go into the house at night, but the new girls stay outside in the run - locked, so they are safe, but it will start to get a bit chilly out there soon & they will have no access to the nesting box once they start laying.  Would it be safe to shove them into the henhouse with the old girls after lights out, & pull down the shutter until morning, or is that likely to cause a massacre?

I have had the new ones for a fortnight now, so hoped things would be settling a bit more.

Any ideas, advice, very welcome.

Thanks  Rachel
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 08:28 by rdcuthbert »

bantam novice

Re: new hens won't go in the hen house.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 08:51 »
Hello Rachel and welcome to the forum  :)
I am not an expert, however my instinct would be to pick your new girls up and put them in the hen house on t he perch at night.  Do it after dark and that way both groups will be too sleepy to do much damage to each other.  You will need to let them out as early as possible in the morning.
Good luck and keep us posted  :)
By the way we love pictures on this forum so if you can post some of your hens that would be great.  :D
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 13:28 »
yes, get them used to being in the house by putting them in there at night.
straight onto the perch if you can.

Tehy'll get used to it eventually, but they need to know that there's where the bedroom is  :)

rdcuthbert

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 13:56 »
thanks for this advice so far.  They spent the first week trying to roost in a blackcurrant bush & I had to pick them out of it each night & pop them into the run.  They were clearly petrified of the BIG girls, so I put the shutter down to keep them inside, & went out early in the morning to feed the youngsters & give them the run of the garden for an hour or so whilst the old ones had an enforced lie in. 

They are used to this routine now & head for the run themselves once I have locked the others away, so I will try this next step tonight & put them into the house once things have settled down.  Next question ... do I lock them all in, or just pop them in & hope they will settle?

thanks

Rachel

ps.  will post some pictures once I can get them all to smile for the camera!

rdcuthbert

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 10:14 »
Thanks for the help - worked like a dream.  newbies a bit squawky still at being handled so I dangled them upside down for a couple of minutes to calm them down before popping them in through the side hatch.  Bit reluctant, but settled quickly once I closed up again.  Opened up again at 5am (!) & everything appeared calm.  The grannies processed out first, bit grumpy at being disturbed so early, but I could hear the other two chatting away, without much alarm, inside.  Rewarded by seeing the pair of them on the lawn an hour later, parked up like a pair of caravans, purring away in the sunshine.  Seems the worst is over.  Thank you!

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 10:32 »
Putting them in together at night is what the breeders do to get them settled as they get used to the new smells quickly and when they are comatose!! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

JACDORE

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 15:55 »
yes, bit late for the reply, but, putting them together locked away at night in the same hen house is the best way
2 rottys 4 cats, 2 gecko's, 2 beardies, 2 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 1 rabbit, 12 various fish, 6 hens, 1 hubby, (lol)

xx
2 New Hens added to the house

Started by Flyin Chickens on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 05, 2008, 17:37
by Flyin Chickens
xx
Hen House wanted for 3-4 hens

Started by mjc9 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 10, 2011, 08:31
by mjc9
xx
How Many Hens for my Size of House & Run?

Started by Timbo47 on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post May 14, 2009, 19:16
by rcandy2001
sad
My hens wont come out the hen house!!!

Started by chicken george25 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 08:02
by Kathie

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 35 queries.