Price of garlic

• 22 Replies

Christine

Price of garlic
« on: September 06, 2015, 15:32 »
All varieties seem to have shot up in price this year - I've been looking online. Is it me?

Mind I've only grown elephant garlic for the past couple of years so may be not up to speed with other garlic. But the family fancies a change of garlic next year.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Price of garlic
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 15:40 »
They were about a fiver for 2 cloves last year, from the main seed suppliers, same this year.

Small seed companies and ebay are a bit cheaper, as is my local garden centre, so have a good look around.

Steveharford

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 16:25 »
If you normally grow your own then you just save your best cloves for autumn planting. Cost: virtually zero. Satisfaction 100%

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 18:20 »
If you normally grow your own then you just save your best cloves for autumn planting. Cost: virtually zero. Satisfaction 100%

Does this not cause diseases etc? And do I have to treat the ones I will be replanting any different from ones I will be eating?

Steveharford

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 20:10 »
As Babby Ann says the selection process ensures that your crops become accustomed to your local conditions and actually improve year on year. It's one of the few things which I will be growing next year(planting this Autumn) as I don't want to have to start from scratch again in the future.

Ema

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 21:25 »
I normally buy some UK grown garlic from the supermarkets for growing my own, waitrose tend to sell large isle of weight garlic

Eblana

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 21:36 »
I had been getting mine from the Isle of Wright but with the postage it was working out too dear and I wasn't having great results from it either.  Last year I bought three bulbs for 2.99 from a local garden centre got great results and have been able to save three bulbs for planting this year.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 11:52 »
My OH buys a variety called "Ail Rose de Lautrec" and has given me a few fat cloves to plant this autumn, so we'll see how they do over this winter.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

wighty

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 11:58 »
Please note it is the Isle of Wight, not Wright or Weight!  :D I buy mine from the Garlic Farm as it is only down the road from my house so I don't have to worry about P & P.  It can be more expensive than from the Garden Centre but as I have similar soil to the Farm I know it's good.

ghost61

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 16:16 »
Best results this year, previously paid a lot for bulbs that came to nothing, so I opted for cheap and cheerful Wilkos.  Three bulbs, decent sizes, £2.  Have got three packets this year and they'll be in the ground on Thursday!

Steveharford

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 20:45 »
I have bought from several suppliers over the years and even though The Garlic Farm appear to be pricey with the postage etc I can vouch for the quality as being very good.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 21:35 »
Unless the place you bought your garlic from didn't realise they had a problem with some of their seed garlic.  :(
Lost one type completely (rotted off), and the other started to rot not long after harvest, so I had to process and freeze.....
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 06:32 »
so I opted for cheap and cheerful Wilkos.  Three bulbs, decent sizes, £2.  Have got three packets this year and they'll be in the ground on Thursday!
Thanks for this tip, Ghost. I've checked it out and they do two types - one called 'Garlic' (!) and a purple one called French Germadour. I shall certainly be taking a trip into town shortly to get some. Who'd have thought it?  :D
Carpe Diem

ghost61

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 07:53 »
Crikey, I missed the purple one.  Must get a packet of those too!

chillimummy

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 21:10 »
Sent OH to wilko and got pack with two large bulbs of ' Germidour'. Looks like lots of cloves  :)
Hoping for good crop! 
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

xx
2022 seed garlic price??

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 13, 2022, 23:35
by Snowboar
xx
1/2 Price GYO Subscription

Started by little sweetpeas on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 26, 2007, 16:04
by DD.
xx
Price of stuff

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 22, 2007, 14:11
by flatcap
xx
Price of fertilizer

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 15, 2017, 20:41
by JimB

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 37 queries.