round parmex carrots

• 8 Replies

sclarke624

round parmex carrots
« on: April 29, 2009, 16:23 »
Would anyone know if these should be thinned out.  They are the round ones.  Tried to sow carefull but some are bunched up.  I know I should mix small seed with sand but that would be too unspontaneous for me  :D :D.

Also how do you reckon these would cope with being transplanted.  gonna do it with some anyway but anyone got any experience of this.  Being round I figured they maybe wouldn't end up so deformed.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

ben

Re: round parmex carrots
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 16:25 »
I would say yes, you need to thin them out to about 1 to 2 inches (the size of the root + a bit).

Stripey_cat

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 19:21 »
It depends!  They can cope with being multisown in modules, and the clusters planted out at about 6 inch spacing, so if there are only a few dense patches in the row you'll probably get away with it.  You may be able to transplant, but do it as quickly as possible so there's less root growth to damage, and cover the plants against the dread fly.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 19:23 »
I only thin to about an inch apart (got them in a big pot) and then they virtually fill the pot, almost touching  :) Yummy too
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

sclarke624

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 21:50 »
Sunshine youv'e done them before then glad to hear they are nice.  Not worried about the fly everything is in pots and raised or in a high raised bed.  But transplanting quick makes sense, before much root growth.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 23:03 by sclarke624 »

sclarke624

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 14:50 »
It depends!  They can cope with being multisown in modules, and the clusters planted out at about 6 inch spacing, so if there are only a few dense patches in the row you'll probably get away with it. 

Stripey is that peculiar to the round carrots that you can sow in modules and clusters planted out as that would be useful on limited space.  Just want to make sure you are talking about the round ones. 

Put some in a trough and then realised I had no where left high enough to put them to save from fly.  I could cover them with fleece though  that would be ok wouldn't it.

Sorry to labour a point but three years running I have tried carrots and no fly but such distorted shapes awful to peel .  First year with round ones.

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 14:52 by sclarke624 »

SG6

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 18:33 »
Would recommend thinning them.

I sowed a load in a pot last year and they grew well but I didn't thin and I felt that they could have done with thinning to get larger carrots.

It was a simple case that they were numerous but a little small and fiddly to do anything with.

sclarke624

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 22:12 »
Most I have thinned this evening a very few I have left.  Can't be doing with small and fiddly with my artritic fingers.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 19:07 »
It depends!  They can cope with being multisown in modules, and the clusters planted out at about 6 inch spacing, so if there are only a few dense patches in the row you'll probably get away with it. 

Stripey is that peculiar to the round carrots that you can sow in modules and clusters planted out as that would be useful on limited space.  Just want to make sure you are talking about the round ones. 

I've only done it with round ones - I'm told if you try it with the long sort you get knotted carrots.  I hate the way with a lot of veg you end up wasting so much seed to thinnings, so I'm always up to try something less wasteful!

xx
Carrots all the year round...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 31, 2018, 10:07
by Nobbie
xx
Baby round carrots

Started by pumpkinpatch on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 23:42
by mountainvicar
xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
round up

Started by chisel on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 01, 2010, 22:51
by chisel

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 38 queries.