Carrots all the year round...

• 8 Replies

Growster...

Carrots all the year round...
« on: January 23, 2018, 18:47 »
We've managed two plastic buckets full of carrots in used compost for use since October. They're plonked on a shelf in the greenhouse, which is frost-free but not heated. They just sit there in a watering tray, and provide a couple here and there and while they don't get radiantly orange, they taste the same!

Spring onions are doing something too, as are some big radish!

And all for a few seeds and the old stuff from last-year's grow-bags...

(Frugal - me?)

greenjay

• Experienced Member
Re: Carrots all the year round...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 19:47 »
when did you start them off?

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 22:04 »
when did you start them off?

8th September 2017, sorry, a month earlier than posted...

Still just enough for a couple of 'oldish fogies' when we need them!

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 10:10 »
When do you think it's worth sowing some in a container in an unheated greenhouse for an early crop?

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 10:57 »
When do you think it's worth sowing some in a container in an unheated greenhouse for an early crop?

I think the main problem would be one of germination, Nobbie. We were wondering only yesterday when we could start a new bucket, but I don't think we want something that size cluttering up the house, so we'll wait awhile...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 16:55 »
We have just finished our stored carrots, and was mulling over when I could sow some seeds in (unheated) polytunnel, and came to the conclusion that the end of February should be fine, if I keep a cloche over the ground inside, to add a bit more warmth.

Last year I sowed some outside under cloche protection in very early March and they germinated alright

Never thought of actually doing a late sowing in a container to keep inside during the Winter, so thank you for the idea Growster. Be good to extend the "fresh" season at the other end too
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

victoria park

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 21:12 »
Last year I sowed some Nantes on 25 February in a big trug in the cold greenhouse. Showed on 13 March and were eating delectable babies 3rd week in May. Excellent appreciated small crop before the main event. A friend actually chits his carrots earlier in February and then inserts them individually into buckets  :) He  reckons it's well worth the hassle, so it's an irresistable challenge for me this year ....plastic bag in heated propagator, immediate pair of tweezers, ten minutes, 60 carrots, done. Should be snaffling salad carrots end of April. I see no reason why not.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 21:22 »
Last year I sowed some Nantes on 25 February in a big trug in the cold greenhouse. Showed on 13 March and were eating delectable babies 3rd week in May. Excellent appreciated small crop before the main event. A friend actually chits his carrots earlier in February and then inserts them individually into buckets  :) He  reckons it's well worth the hassle, so it's an irresistable challenge for me this year ....plastic bag in heated propagator, immediate pair of tweezers, ten minutes, 60 carrots, done. Should be snaffling salad carrots end of April. I see no reason why not.

I did something like that several years ago Victoria!

Sat in the greenhouse, took a long deep seed tray full of decent compost, and with the tip of a damp stick, did each seed individually. It's great therapy, and I'd actually forgotten how pleasant a job it really is, after all, you're only doing all the thinning out before you ever need to, so time isn't being wasted!

Like you say, 60 carrots, all fresh and sweet! What can be better?

Thanks for the reminder!

Nobbie

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 10:07 »

Useful info, I'll leave it a bit longer then. I've got a half water butt with the bottom half filled with celotex foam to keep the weight down all waiting to go. I'll put a sheet of glass over the top once I've sown them to keep things a bit cosy. Always nice to have started showing stuff for the year, but I've got some chillis and toms indoors to keep me busy for now🙂

xx
Baby round carrots

Started by pumpkinpatch on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 23:42
by mountainvicar
xx
round parmex carrots

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 02, 2009, 19:07
by Stripey_cat
xx
growing all year round

Started by chris1976 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 29, 2006, 21:21
by yewtreemob
xx
Coriander all the year round?

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 22:02
by hawthorns

Page created in 0.47 seconds with 38 queries.