Hey! Frontline Doesn't Work!

• 18 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
Hey! Frontline Doesn't Work!
« on: May 30, 2012, 10:23 »
We moved into this house a little over a year ago and I have two indoor Siamese cats.  The people before us had lots of dogs.  My cats were infested with fleas for the first time this Spring.  I Frontlined them a week later, still found fleas on them.  So I Frontlined them again.  I just found fleas on both of them again - a week later.  >:( >:( >:(  Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do now?
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Hey! Frontline Doesn't Work!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 10:56 »
smoke bombs work wonders. My sons cat (also a house cat) caught fleas last year after they visited  some friends with cats. They tried all sorts of things including frontline but the only thing that worked was smoke bombs.
Staffies are softer than you think.

maxyboo

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 11:06 »
Well I certainly would not put on any more chemicals without vet advice. I use frontline or alternatives but also flea comb my cats. There has been a lot of debate about whether frontline is still effective and I don't think it lasts the full 4 weeks on my cats. However, I was reading something written by a vet recently. He said frontline is still effective but obviously new fleas can jump on at any time. The frontline tends to make the fleas more "excitable" causing them to come to the surface more so we notice them, but they will still die.
My advice would be to flea comb your cats daily for the next few days and kill any you catch, but also treat your home. There are some good sprays such as Indorex or Acclaim. Daily vacuuming to get rid of the little blighters would be a good idea. It's a pain I know but if they are hatching in your house then the problem won't go away.
You could ask a vet if flea collars would help. I have never used them as I don't know if they can be used alongside a spot on. Also my cat won't tolerate collars.
Hope this helps.  :)

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 11:17 »
I don't know about cats, but we have stopped using Frontline on the dogs as it is not effective.  One of our dogs has a severe allergy to fleas so we have to keep him very flea free.

We now use Advocat, yes the flea treatment, not the horrible yellow drink my Nan used to have.  It seems to do the job.  I have no idea if this is suitable for cats though, or if it should be used just after Frontline.  I would certainly recommend talking to your vet.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 13:09 »
A house we bought once, was infested in the carpets etc. when we moved in.  :( The previous owners had a number of cats. We had to get treatment for the dog who developed fleas instantly for the first time just then and for the house. Once the house was thoroughly treated we were or rather the dog was flea free again. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 14:34 »
I moved into a flat that was infested with fleas once, horrid! I remember using a powder on the carpets and hoovering it up a while later, that worked. I don't remember what it was called but it was from a pet shop.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 14:49 »
It will be quite expensive but all your floors will need spraying, especially around the skirting and on the bends in the stairs which we found were trouble spots in a house we moved to.

Having your carpets hot cleaned is another good option

evie2

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 15:05 »
You really need to treat your house too, fleas get everywhere  :(
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 15:41 »
The stuff I got to treat the house came from the vet, it was in a tall spray tin and expensive!  :ohmy: But what can you do? You have to eradicate them.

Chrysalis

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 17:05 »
ooh, I am now itching! :tongue2:

nasty things fleas.....Advocat is good for dogs and cats, I believe.  Advocaat, as has been said, isn't good for anyone! :lol:

We're struggling with frontline for hens not working so well either.  One of ours can't seem to get rid of mites/lice...
Just off to do battle again.... :(

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 17:15 »
Yeah I wasn't impressed with the uneffectiveness of frontline on my dog and switched to giving him some garlic occasionally.  It's not good for dogs but I highly doubt frontline is any better and I found just a slice of fresh garlic fed to him every couple days while he was infested got rid of them and they haven't returned since, over 3 years ago. I'd advise checking the toxicity of garlic on cats before feeding them any but I can vouch it deter fleas.
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

maxyboo

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 17:41 »
There is also advantage, another spot on. It was recently made available to buy without prescription. Never tried it myself though.

amurdin

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 19:19 »
fleas can become immune if you keep using the same
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 10:10 by amurdin »

evie2

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 19:49 »
That's the stuff Argyllie :)

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 20:19 »
Thank you all for your advice.  I've never 'bombed' my house before, but it looks like that's the way I'm going to have to go.  I'll also look into that Advocat.  I think Sebastian might be allergic to the fleas too.  He's such a sweet little boy, I hate to see him suffer.

xx
Frontline Combo best flea/tick treatment for cats?

Started by Goosegirl on Pets without Feathers

63 Replies
Last post January 11, 2014, 14:17
by Goosegirl
xx
Does a lunge line actually work with a dog...?

Started by Growster... on Pets without Feathers

15 Replies
Last post September 07, 2023, 06:40
by Growster...
xx
I've forgotten how hard work puppies are !! !

Started by sarajane on Pets without Feathers

14 Replies
Last post January 16, 2013, 22:38
by Dawnuss

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 37 queries.