Hot bed for a courgette

• 8 Replies

Nobbie

Hot bed for a courgette
« on: April 13, 2012, 15:23 »
We've just had a steaming pile of manure delivered to site and as I saw some cougettes in the garden centre I was thinking about trying for some early crops. Anyone else tried this with any success?

I've dug out a pit about 6" deep and then made a big pile 1m*1m*0.5m of manure. I'll wrap polythene around the heap to keep the heat in and top it off with compost and an upturned see though box with ventilation holes to act as a greenhouse. It will be an interesting experiment if nothing else. Can't be worse than last years :(

Christine

Re: Hot bed for a courgette
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 16:59 »
It's to early to even consider planting out courgettes. Next month at the earliest. Garden centres sell things early hoping that you will come back for more when frosts get things.

mattwragg94

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 19:10 »
I agree with christine its a bit early for them. Also make sure that muck thats been delivered is well rotted before doing anything with it!

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 19:14 »
We did something similar  last year. Did ours in a raised bed. Didn't wrap it tho' and didn't plant the courgettes too early but it was a success with all the squashes, and the celeriac.

The peppers were a wash out so not doing those again, but it worked quite well with the aubergines.

LilacSandy

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 19:26 »
I'd say go for it, if you can keep the heap hot enough you will keep the frost off but don't forget how big a plant courgettes grow, can you cover it all until the frosts have gone?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 19:44 »
Sounds good but having seen one of my plot neighbours attempt a hot bed last year, there were some things I learned from her:

1: You have to be able to keep the heat in for some weeks if it is to accelerate growth while there is still a danger of frost, so more insulation than being wrapped in plastic would be needed

2: There needs to be sufficient headroom for tallish plants so that leaves do not touch the transparent covering, or they scorch in the sunshine/condensation combination

and one from me:

3:Is the manure well rotted enough?

I
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Nobbie

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 08:26 »
Some useful replies, thanks. I think the idea is that the manure is not well rotted as it's the heat of the decomposition that I'll be using. Hence planting into compost on top of the heap. It's always a gamble with things like courgettes, but I've noticed a lot of people at my site seem to get theirs out fairly early with some success. Most of these are planted on old heaps, where I'm sure just being off the ground helps.

May leave it until next week given the frosty nights to come 8)

mattwragg94

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 10:31 »
my only concern would be that the fresh manure would burn the courgettes (potentially killing the off)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 10:39 »

I think a few persons are missing the point.   A hot bed is hot due to the heat produced by the rotting process of the horse muck.   Set a square of wood / plastic on top of the mound after levelling the top,  fill with good soil which will, (due to convection/conduction and radiation heat up)   and plant early saladings in the soil.   

This heat is usefull to obtain an early quickly maturing crop and doesn't last long so crops taking a while to mature are not recommended.   

Cheers,     Tony.

I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

xx
Courgette help please!

Started by BabyStar on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 19, 2012, 08:56
by BabyStar
xx
Courgette tip rot

Started by nobby90 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 14, 2010, 20:15
by nobby90
xx
our first courgette

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 07:21
by Rangerkris
xx
Which courgette?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post June 19, 2012, 21:36
by arugula

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 37 queries.