Garlic

• 3 Replies

Michael D

• Experienced Member
Garlic
« on: August 22, 2011, 19:09 »
Hi all    Just got a bag of broken  cloves  from our corner shop, was  planing of planting them in plugs now then plant them out in Oct,   is this to early, if so  whats the best way to store the garlic.  Any advice pls  Mike

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Garlic
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 19:21 »
Think carefully before using shop cloves as they may have White Rot spores on them. Once you have this on your plot you can't grow onions/garlic for at least 6 years :ohmy:

Seed garlic is certified disease free so we would advise these, and they are not that expensive at places like Wilkinsons, although I realise that seed catalogue prices are horrendous!

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 14:19 »
I am give to understand that you souldn't break the bulb up into clovers untill just before planting. Not sure what difference it makes.

I wouldn't plant them yet, but if you do, do not use multi purpose compost because it stays to damp and the clover will rot. This happened to mine last year when I put them into pots because the bed was not ready.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 15:38 »
You can always give it a try but I wouldn't count on too big a crop. At this tume of year just store them at room temp as chilling will force them to sprout too early for yo daylight hours. In Oct you can plant out the individual cloves about 8" apart in well prepared soil. Nothing is gained by starting them early as they need cool weather to grow properly.

clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula
xx
Elephant Garlic / Garlic

Started by dapper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 08:25
by dapper
xx
garlic

Started by ukpaul28 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 25, 2007, 11:28
by WG.

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 37 queries.