Help with sweet peppers

• 3 Replies

zopadooper

Help with sweet peppers
« on: July 06, 2010, 08:02 »
Every year we sucessfully grow sweet peppers in containers in our green house but this year some plants are developing with a brown speck on them which, as the plant grows, is turning into a large brown patch and then is going rotten.  Can anyone tell us what has happened and could we have avoided it.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Help with sweet peppers
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 08:25 »
Blossom end rot is usually associated with tomatoes, but peppers and aubergines can suffer from it as well.

It's a physiological problem rather than a disease, caused by insufficient calcium reaching the fruits.

There's all sorts of complicated chemistry you could go into as to why this happens but the usual reason is irregular watering, or sometimes overfeeding with high nitrogen fertlisers.

An article HERE to check if this is actually the problem you have.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

kel28

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 11:10 »
Hi by the sounds of it I had the same as you, started a tiny speck and grow but mine was fairly fast within a matter of 4-5 days I got told as I hadn't whitened the windows on my greenhouse it had got to hot and this had caused it? I'm not sure as this is my 1st yr with a greenhouse but they had rotted when I touched the brown patch it was very soft.
kem

Snoop

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 17:41 »
JayG, that was a really useful link. I had this problem last year and had no idea what it was or how to deal with it.

Thanks, and thanks to zopadooper for asking the question. Hope you get yours sorted out too.

xx
Sweet peppers

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 10, 2007, 21:49
by Trillium
xx
Sweet Peppers

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 21, 2007, 13:26
by FatGaz
xx
Sweet peppers

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 21:49
by sclarke624
xx
sweet peppers

Started by whinpin on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 26, 2014, 15:18
by Trillium

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 35 queries.