Advice needed re: digging over weed area and manuring

• 6 Replies

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
Half of our plot was smothered in weeds and couch (sp?) so was sprayed with some naster weedkiller earlier in the year and has been covered with black damp proof membrane ever since.

We wanted to dig over before winter and manure but I don't think we will have time to take out all of the dead weeds and grass by hand. The area is about 75 sqm.

So, could we just dig over what is there and manure and let the frost break down the soil or do we have to take out the dead stuff as we dig?

hopefully not too daft a Q :oops:

Bignij

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 11:07 »
From a total novice. :roll:
I think once it's dead you can leave it to rot down, as the weedkiller, (if it's Glyphosate,) should become inactive, inert once it's in the soil. 8)

richiechivz

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 12:49 »
I have a similar problem with mine. I culitvated nearly half the plot last year, grew potatoes, cabbages and runners. Still have leeks to come. The remainder of the plot I covered with carpet and black weed supressent. I sprayed with roundup first and was planning to leave it until end of of september before removing and hopefully having an easier time digging over. I have a feeling though the couch maybe a bit tougher to get rid of, even with the spraying and the carpet, I think many will advise that you need to get as much of the bindweed roots and couch as possible.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 15:25 »
You're right, bindweed and couch roots are very tough to kill, and repeated sprayings of glyphosphate are needed. It's best if you can first dig up as much of their roots as possible which really  slows them down, then spray the rest. In spring, before you rotovate, take a garden fork to loosen the soil (which is necessary before rotovating) and pull any couch or bindweed roots you see (which you will). Otherwise, you simply chop up the roots into more future plants spread all over the place as you rotovate.

mumsflowerpot

Pineapple weed
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 17:00 »
Does anyone else get this, with the wet weather it is spreading fast all over the soil, and does anyone know a good way to get rid of it?

Our weeding efforts are losing a lot of soil with it!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 22:56 »
Just a note to be really careful with couch grass and carpet.  The weed will grow eventually through the carpet, and effectively tie the carpet to the ground.  When you come to remove the carpet it can be really difficult, because of the couch grass.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Yabba

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 07:43 »
You might like to try growing turnips to get rid of your couch grass ( Henry's Garden Hints & Tips 1 )

¥

xx
advice needed on weed killer

Started by NUMBER27 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 05, 2012, 22:24
by Ice
xx
Weed suppressing advice needed

Started by Annad83 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2014, 06:40
by Growster...
xx
stopping weed come back after slingle digging plot

Started by cornwallguys on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 18:17
by Kristen
xx
manure needed in bristol or surrounding area

Started by Shazzer on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 14, 2007, 11:55
by mushroom

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 38 queries.