Levington seed compost

• 22 Replies

rowlandwells

Re: Levington seed compost
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2023, 20:40 »
this compost thing is getting sillier by the day is this peat free not worth buying because  it contains  rubbish that when its bought to the attention of the manufacturers they swamp you with additional bags to shut you up I have to ask myself how come it ended up with all that rubbish in the bag was it the seeping ups and if one hadn't complained  you would just except that  tat they sell someone needs to take these compost companies to task of what there offloading to the home gardener they need to get there act together if they where selling this tat to the horticultural industry they would soon get big problems but for the home gardener who gives a ?

snowdrops

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2023, 21:22 »
this compost thing is getting sillier by the day is this peat free not worth buying because  it contains  rubbish that when its bought to the attention of the manufacturers they swamp you with additional bags to shut you up I have to ask myself how come it ended up with all that rubbish in the bag was it the seeping ups and if one hadn't complained  you would just except that  tat they sell someone needs to take these compost companies to task of what there offloading to the home gardener they need to get there act together if they where selling this tat to the horticultural industry they would soon get big problems but for the home gardener who gives a ?

No Rowlands that is most definitely not what happened, there was an issue with the nitrogen in the original compost, they most certainly have not “swamped me with additional bags to shut me up”! You seem to be totally against anything you have no experience of. Peat based composts are going to be stopped so we might as well learn how to use it, is how I view it. I think Melcourt have bent over backwards to sort out an issue that I reported & I respect them for that.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2023, 22:26 »
I got gifted a couple of open bags of Levington’s seed compost this weekend, which were leftovers from a project with kids sowing sunflower seeds.

They had only used a few scoops of compost out of each, so I was initially happy to get them, but the texture is pretty awful.  As you say Candide, it is just a load of fairly long fibres.  Small seeds would struggle, but it may be OK for beans and the like  :unsure:  I have to say I’m dubious about even that.

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2023, 10:18 »
Here is part of the reply I received from my contact at Melcourt....
Thank you.
I'd be interested to hear their final verdict too, when you get it. 

missmoneypenny

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2023, 13:47 »
Just sowed some lettuce seeds in the Sylvagrow/ Melcourt seed compost. I was surprised at how Sandy and wet the texture is. No lumps whatsoever though. We’ll see how it does.

rowlandwells

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2023, 18:28 »
your having a laugh this peat free rubbish is dearer that the peat based but  if you go to your local rubbish tip you can get some peat free for next to nothing peat free not for me

AnneB

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2023, 23:23 »
your having a laugh this peat free rubbish is dearer that the peat based but  if you go to your local rubbish tip you can get some peat free for next to nothing peat free not for me
Which peat free composts have you tried Rowland?  It would be good to know.  I had some issues with Dalefoot tomato compost and won't use that again, but have been very impressed with Melcourt Sylvagrow.  This has been as good as the Clover I used previously and I managed to get it at a good price from a local supplier although it is often more expensive I agree.
If you know of some brands to steer clear of that would be good information.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 09:00 by AnneB »

Goosegirl

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2023, 09:54 »
I had to order my Sylvagrow on-line as I don't drive now so got two 50 L for £30. Ok, not cheap but looks good (see attached close up pic with flash on of a trowel-full spread out on a piece of white paper on my posh shed bench). It was what I'd call nicely dampish, and any "clods" around the sides of the bag were easily removed then broken down with my fingers.

p.s. I used to like Jack's Magic, but maybe it was either 2021 year's stock and/ or a storage issue with a small local nursery but it was rather wet with a white mould on top.
Sylvagrow 2 (600 x 450).jpg
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Levington F2 Compost

Started by Weessy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 18:38
by Weessy
xx
Seed Compost

Started by cathangirl on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 15, 2010, 17:53
by fletcherbaker
xx
Seed compost

Started by Lesleyk on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 22, 2013, 11:40
by mumofstig
xx
Seed compost

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 13, 2020, 11:52
by I Love Spuds

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 47 queries.