Growing veg through a flower patch

• 4 Replies

wolveryeti

Growing veg through a flower patch
« on: March 10, 2023, 10:27 »
I had a thought that while I wait for the weather to warm up and be suitable for warm-loving veg (e.g. courgettes) in the beds I have designated, I could sow some flower seeds for pollinators and then plant into the beds when the pot plants are ready.

Is this a good idea or will I just get rubbish yields and growth from the flowers competing with the veg?

wolveryeti

Re: Growing veg through a flower patch
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 10:28 »
I should clarify that I am talking about raised beds here, and the flowers would be grown from seed.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 13:25 »
You could probably plant low-growing or trailing plants that bees like around the edge of your raised courgette bed.  Linaria, Nasturtium, lamb's ear are some examples.  Tall plants (for example, zinnia, coneflower) would probably lead to the competition problem you mentioned.

If you are mainly wanting to attract pollinators, try letting nearby kale, broccoli or something similar go to flower, if you have them. Any good candidate flower that actually is in the raised bed should not be competing with the courgettes for sunlight and space (and having the flower eventually shaded out should not be a problem for you). 

Finally, you can grow your flowers in larger pots that are outside of the bed, but nearby, and which can be moved around if needed.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2023, 11:10 »
You could probably plant low-growing or trailing plants that bees like around the edge of your raised courgette bed.  Linaria, Nasturtium, lamb's ear are some examples.  Tall plants (for example, zinnia, coneflower) would probably lead to the competition problem you mentioned.

If you are mainly wanting to attract pollinators, try letting nearby kale, broccoli or something similar go to flower, if you have them. Any good candidate flower that actually is in the raised bed should not be competing with the courgettes for sunlight and space (and having the flower eventually shaded out should not be a problem for you). 

Finally, you can grow your flowers in larger pots that are outside of the bed, but nearby, and which can be moved around if needed.

It shouldnt be a problem as Subversive says, we also companion plant for our veg to attract pesky pests away, your just doing it the other way round  8)
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 14:25 »
I had a thought that while I wait for the weather to warm up and be suitable for warm-loving veg (e.g. courgettes) in the beds I have designated, I could sow some flower seeds for pollinators and then plant into the beds when the pot plants are ready.

Is this a good idea or will I just get rubbish yields and growth from the flowers competing with the veg?
I allow nasturtiums to ramble between the bigger, hardier veg. They self seed & then I just referee things by pulling them up where they're not wanted! ::) The bees certainly love them.
I've never tried getting them going early. They tend to germinate after most things are planted out. The good thing about them is shallow roots & easily got rid of.

xx
Wild Flower Patch

Started by begbrook on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 03, 2022, 18:27
by Growster...
xx
Growing my tomatoes in patch next year!

Started by GD_101 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 13, 2010, 18:47
by JayG
xx
'Suckers' growing from flower trusses on tomatoes

Started by hasbeans on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 11, 2018, 17:13
by mumofstig
xx
Flower!!!!!!!!!!

Started by agapanthus on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 02, 2007, 14:45
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 44 queries.