New Strawberries - best way?

• 22 Replies

missmoneypenny

Re: New Strawberries - best way?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2023, 12:57 »
Yes it’s the first time for me , pride comes before a fall , thought I’d never get it somehow. I made myself go to the plot today and managed a shop too. Feeling wiped out now.  Think I got it from m y eldest son who has a pub job. You should be ok infectiousness wise for the talk next week, but you might feel quite tired.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2023, 13:25 »
I’ve just planted some 'Mara des Bois' strawberries from Thompson and Morgan.  They arrived in excellent condition within 48 hour.  Their web site (or a phone call) might tell you more about their delivery to your part of the UK.

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2023, 14:18 »
That’s great coldandwindy. I admire your fortitude and ( what seems to me at least) gardening “ on the edge”.
I’ve been laid low by covid so not been to the plot for a week, but last Saturday the strawberries looked ok, including the lot from the  1st delivery which seemed moribund when they arrived. Goosegirl I agree service from Thompson and Morgan can be patchy. Last year it was unsolicited substitutions in my delivery- sent a totally different variety of seed potato with no pre warning.
Get well soon!

Grubbypaws

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2023, 16:47 »
I am growing strawberries for the first time this year. Question: Lots of 'how to grow' websites say not to let the plants fruit in the first year, is this correct? I am very excited about my strawberries and would love to have some this year but I dont want to ruin future crops so will remove the flowers if it is the best thing to do?

snowdrops

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2023, 19:08 »
I am growing strawberries for the first time this year. Question: Lots of 'how to grow' websites say not to let the plants fruit in the first year, is this correct? I am very excited about my strawberries and would love to have some this year but I dont want to ruin future crops so will remove the flowers if it is the best thing to do?

Depends on when you planted them in essence, if it was in the autumn or at the latest now, they should be fine. It’s advised not to let them fruit so the plant can bulk up. But what you could do is let them fruit this year, & then take runners from this year, plant them in the autumn & either see how your first plants fare or discard them for the new runners. If you do take runners only take 2 or 3 from each plant & then only take the first plantlet from the parent on the runner ,if that makes sense?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Grubbypaws

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2023, 14:51 »
Also what is the best mulch. Mostly pictures show straw being used but somewhere I saw mention of pine needles as they raise the acidity of the compost as they decompose?

snowdrops

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2023, 17:27 »
I just mulch with whatever I’ve got ,well rotted manure or homemade compost. They get a sprinkle of chicken pellets, blood fish & bone or wood ash now & again.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2023, 19:37 »
Just updating to say the T&M pst plants which looked moribund when they arrive have recovered well and are now indistinguishable from the plants T&M sent as replacement . So maybe if they arrive looking dreadful all is not lost.

xx
Strawberries

Started by GaryH on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 01, 2008, 19:44
by Trillium
xx
Strawberries

Started by andy dewar on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 06:53
by surbie100
xx
Strawberries.

Started by sausage on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 23, 2007, 21:17
by richyrich7
thumbup
Strawberries

Started by perisama on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 22:20
by Junie

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 44 queries.