Best time to buy seeds

• 4 Replies

Grubbypaws

Best time to buy seeds
« on: September 14, 2022, 12:32 »
When do seed suppliers pack their seeds each year? I want to buy my seeds for next year but want to make sure that they are as new as possible. When is the best time to buy seeds?

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Best time to buy seeds
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2022, 15:52 »
The answer here in Athens, Georgia (USA) might be different compared to over there. We start seeing seeds in garden centers in February or March here, so if you are buying in person, at a garden center, that's when you go to get the freshest seed for the year.

However online or mail vendors probably have their new seed available earlier than that. January would work over here.  Last year, I bought my online seed order on February 10, after searching the best vendors for seed that I wanted for a month or two before that.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 22:59 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2022, 16:24 »
I never mind buying in the end of year sales, tbh, but any I've missed I order when the first 2023 catalogues come out. The Kings 2023 dropped through the door today  :)
Seed prices have gone up, of course, but some of the tomato seeds looked especially pricey  :ohmy:

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2022, 18:30 »
I never mind buying in the end of year sales, tbh, but any I've missed I order when the first 2023 catalogues come out. The Kings 2023 dropped through the door today  :)
Seed prices have gone up, of course, but some of the tomato seeds looked especially pricey  :ohmy:

Tom seeds went up quite a lot this year! Some worked out at 20p a pop!

I was lucky in taking some 'Shirley' cuttings which just romped away during the heatwave, so maybe that's the way forward next year!

Mrs Growster has just shelled about a hundred sweet pea seeds, and there will be more soon, and as the runner beans just shot to the top of the canes then went to seed in about three hours, we won't need to buy any of those chaps next year as well!

Incidentally, staying on topic, I had several old packets of spring onion seeds, some well out of date, and in a fit of pique, (desperation/blind faith/stupidity), I mixed them all up and just chucked them in three seed trays!

They all came up..:0~

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2022, 08:42 »
I've just started ordering my next years seeds and yes they have gone up slightly but what hasn't although I did buy some of this years seed a G/C was selling of at 50p a packet but my luck they hadn't got the  seed I
 wonted

the trouble is  I tend to buy new seed then forget I've still got some seed left over from the previous year then it gets left and so on but having said all that I suppose Il still be looking and buying more seed when it comes to those short days and dark  nights then end up with more seed than I want  :D

xx
FIRST TIME PLANTING SEEDS

Started by ANGEL_S on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 12, 2009, 10:45
by Stripey_cat
xx
Best time to put my tomato seeds in.

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 19, 2023, 15:40
by LILLILEAF
xx
What's the fastest time your seeds have germinated?

Started by MJS on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 04, 2011, 22:12
by MJS
xx
Lottie Time Vs Work Time

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2007, 07:49
by crowndale

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 42 queries.