5 things I hate about Christmas cards.

• 10 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
5 things I hate about Christmas cards.
« on: December 18, 2018, 13:38 »
1) How come I've got dozens of biros but none of them work? (This includes a brand new one which came with my smartphone pouch - lovely smooth writer until the tip disappeared up inside the body of the pen never to be seen again. :nowink:)

2) Posting a card to someone and finding out next day they've decided to save the planet this year and have sent me a digital card instead.  :tongue2:

3) Trying to find new ways of saying 'really must arrange a get-together next year' - neither party really means it because you've both been saying it for years.

4) Last year you had to ask for someone's new address and this year you discover you must have scribbled it on a now-lost scrap of paper instead of your address book.  :mad:

5) Thinking that you've finished the annual chore. only to receive a card from someone almost at the last minute who doesn't usually send you one (I keep a small supply of 1st class stamps to cover this eventuality!)

Have I missed anything?  :unsure:  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

Re: 5 things I hate about Christmas cards.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 14:26 »
Mine are:-
1) The thought of writing them.
2) Trying to find some nice ones amongst the seemingly never-ending rubbish.
3) Trying to put the ones you don't want back where they came from.
4) Finding ones for special people that have a decent verse inside.
5) Locating the ones left over from last year.
6) Locating the list of names and addresses which should be with them but isn't.
7) Having to seal them with Sellotape because the envelopes don't stick properly.
8) Finding a card and then an envelope but they aren't the same size (a bit like odd socks).
9) Getting cards from people you're not really in touch with that has a newspaper-like insert that tells you what they've been up to during the year - as if I care where they went for their hols or that they've had new double-glazing put in.
10) Digital cards? Oh yes! If that's all they really think of you then I can't be bothered to respond.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 15:57 »
Christmas cards with glitter on.   Waitrose, are not going to use glitter next year on any of their products.
Also, I like cards that really represent what Christmas is supposed to be about.  Apart from that, I go with all that has been said.  :lol:  HAPPY Christmas EVERYONE.    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

madcat

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 16:52 »
Getting soaked racing up the post office to catch the last collection ..  I am just drying out with a mug of tea now!  The little post box near us is only emptied in the morning and today is last posting day for second class stamps, so it was on with the wellies and quick march...  Bah.  I know it is my fault leaving it to the last minute.  Anyway, all off my conscience now...
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 18:29 »
Not being able to find the ones I bought in the January sales. Where have they hidden themselves  :unsure:
Posting them so late that I feel I have to use a first class stamp, my fault I know  ::)
Boxes of cards that are all the same, it may be a lovely design, but is that really what people want?
Pink envelopes on cards for a men  :wacko:

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 18:36 »
I hadn't realised till recently how much of an issue glitter was.
This was  after having bought two packs with glitter on!
I have written and sent them all but in future No Glitter.

The cost of postage.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 19:21 »
I am afraid that glitter is a plastic !!  I didn't know that until recently, so no more glitter glue pens for my craft work. :ohmy:   Mrs Bouquet

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 13:52 »
I so agree with that awful and detachable glitter stuff! The other year I went to a rather nice restaurant with a dear friend to exchange Christmas presents as we were a bit tardy in getting together beforehand. As I opened hers I saw glitter falling all over the table, carpets, and all over our clothes and I felt really ashamed. Not only that, but if you happen to wipe your eye with your finger it will get stuck in there and is potentially harmful.

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 21:14 »
     I only send 2 cards. One to each of my sister's. I wouldn't even know how to send an e card or whatever. My oh on the other hand, has just sent 58 cards to neighbours and his friends. However he does go through received cards and cross checks with ones sent and if he didn't receive one they don't get one next year. Just for the record if any of you buy cards from the blue cross animal charity, my oh designed the one with lots of singing animals with hats on . Haha

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 09:16 »
- cramp in my hand after writing only two, so that my writing becomes jerky and almost illegible

- realising that the pack of cards you bought in the January sale actually only contained five cards, not ten, and so now you don't have enough (and so wasn't really a bargain)

- being unable to find the length of ribbon that we hang them on every year, which is the exact length required with a loop at each end to go over the specially installed pins, making a new one, then finding the old one folded neatly underneath the box of cards... whose idea was that?????

- getting said ribbon up, standing back to admire the nice line of cards, only to have one pin come out and the whole lots come crashing down behind the sofa

I do actually like Christas cards though, both sending and receiving them, and use them to make gifts tags for next year too..... sometimes I even mange to find these again when I am wrapping presents  :lol: :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 11:44 »
   THE POSTAGE ,,,, :mad:   :nowink:
Colin

xx
Twinkle on Christmas Cards

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post December 22, 2019, 10:31
by Goosegirl
xx
Pay as you go and Sim cards.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

18 Replies
Last post June 05, 2021, 08:59
by Welsh Merf
xx
Fuel cards

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post February 08, 2022, 14:33
by snowdrops
xx
Debit cards and ATMs

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post December 12, 2018, 16:57
by MarkC

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 51 queries.