Salad onions - what do you grow?

• 9 Replies

Snoop

Salad onions - what do you grow?
« on: April 11, 2014, 12:36 »
Have just been reading Lardman's thread on being driven mad by spring onions. And it made me wonder what salad onions you all grow.

I grow Fuentes, a white onion that is very sweet when young but which will grow to an absolutely whopper that's quite tingly on the tongue. The largest one I grew was 1430 g. No special method or fertiliser, just in the ground with a bit of muck and some added multipurpose fertiliser later in the season. Even the locals were quite impressed. Fuentes is a lovely salad onion but doesn't store very well once lifted, maybe three months. Highly recommended if you can get the seed in the UK.

What do you grow?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Salad onions - what do you grow?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 13:14 »
From Lardman's thread
I've never had much luck with Lisbon - now I use Guardsman with success from  Autumn and Spring sowings. It is winter hardy and my Autumn-sown ones are about ready now, they've been growing outside.

I also grow Long Red Florence, which like your variety, can get quite big if left and doesn't store well. It does make lovely sweet eating though  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 13:27 »
I adore the long reds so grow lots of them!  The green bit is lush and long so all gets used  :tongue2:
I grow Purplette, White Lisbon, New Holland Blood Red as well

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 13:41 »
Ishikura, White Lisbon, Purple Lilia...All look to be growing well in the PT

Steveharford

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 13:44 »
I've got quite a lot of ailsa Craig and Bedfordshire champ seedlings left over. Still growing quite well in their trays. I'm thinking of planting them out in bunches and treating them as spring onions rather than let them grow on as I will have enough big ones. How will they be?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 17:54 »
They should be fine, SteveH
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Steveharford

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 19:21 »
Thanks Yorkie. I will plant them out tomorrow. Also, in the absence of white Lisbon which I could have sworn I had a packet, I sowed some Winter Hardy Lisbon, they could do really well or *******dy awful I guess but worth a try. I can't imagine that they will think it's not autumn yet and therefore refuse to grow!

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 07:50 »
I have never gone wrong with Ishikura, Performer, Guardsman, and Rouge Long De Florence that are dual purpose as you can crop young for spring onions or leave to bulb up.
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

Snoop

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 09:55 »
Looks like Long Red Florence is popular. Will give that a try next year. We eat a lot of salads in the summer, and sometimes even just a change in colour makes it seem like we're not eating the same thing over and over again. (Even so, really looking forward to courgettes!)

gobs

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 20:13 »
I also grow Florence. Amongst others...

I just noticed I soon shall have quarter or plus of the plot to alliums of sorts. ::)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
Why Can't I grow Salad Indoors ?

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 08, 2012, 23:00
by viettaclark
xx
spring or salad onions

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 14, 2019, 20:45
by Mr Dog
xx
radish and salad onions

Started by 666 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 11, 2007, 13:08
by jennyb
xx
Any recommendations for a good Salad Potato to Grow?

Started by Yorkshire Lass on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post January 13, 2017, 19:31
by Yorkshire Lass

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 41 queries.