terrier making a break for freedom

• 14 Replies

rachelr

terrier making a break for freedom
« on: November 21, 2010, 08:52 »
Hi I am at my wits end and need help. I have a small dog which used to be my daughters?????

He keeps digging under my fence and running off. I am disabled and cannot chase him so i have to wait for him to comehome. Which he does. Unfortunately he is now breaking into my neighbours garden and eating their cat food and poohing on their garden.

My neighbour who does not have dogs is getting very angry at picking up after mine?

I need ideas and the cheaper the better as I am not working and my partner is also unemployed.

At the moment i am attaching his lead to the washing line but my lab cross keeps chewing the lead and freeing him.
Please please any ideas will be greatfully appreciated. I have eleven chickens and three dogs and two cats and he is the only one i seem unable to manage.

twissle

• Experienced Member
Re: terrier making a break for freedom
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 08:58 »
Hi, My springer used to do the same thing. We put netting in some places and big heavy stone's and brick's in other's. It seem's to be working so far :). Hope you get it sorted soon :). Or maybe make a pen for him and only let him out when your in the garden.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 09:35 »
I think he needs a pen or use a chain to secure him rather than a lead - we had a rescue collie cross that was a swine for running off to find rabbits and birds so we had to chain her up if she wanted to be outside. Sadly she got out untethered a couple of years ago and we lost her on the road so please take care  :(. A couple of good long walks will also help tire him out  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 09:36 »
Sounds as if you have your hands full. My guess is that if your terrier has these tendencies it will be very difficult to break the habit, other than digging down and putting an anti-dig barrier in.

It may sound a bit harsh, but given your circumstances, have you considered re-homing the terrier to someone who can cope with his wandering easier? Maybe to someone who can give him a lot of outside excercise? He would soon settle in a new home, and the best way forward would maybe to talk to someone from Jack Russel rescue, or if it is a breed, the relevent rescue, even if just for advice.

I really feel for you and hope you can resolve this soon.

nickmcmechan

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 09:41 »
the issue you have is that the dog is 'self rewarding' which is very powerful

basically the dog escapes and gets food and is allowed to poo somewhere else other than their own garden - one of my dogs will absolutely not poo on its own territory. I think its instinct to keep their own den clean

first things first block off the escape routes, the husky owners will tell you they dig under the top layer of soil near boundaries and lay chickwire, then put the soil back over...either that or have slabs laid

next thing you have to do is make it more rewarding for the dog to come to you than go anywhere else. for this you need 'high level' treats - i use bits of hot dog chopped up, liver (nuke in the microwave for 10-15 mins) or skinless and boneless sardines (smelly)

if the dog goes near the boundary, call it over and every time it comes to you instead it gets a reward...this will be slow at first but soon the dog will get the idea

above all use patience

rachelr

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 11:37 »
thanks for all your advice. Yes we have been thinking of rehoming. Our garden is huge(1/3acre). We walk him once a day but he really hates my mobility scooter!!!!. i have tried to bribe with sausage and cheese maybe i need something more smelly like the sardines. Ilove chatting on here some one always has an answer. I always try and problem solve but i think I have gotten weighed down with the guilt of upsetting the neighbours.

I think as he is the smallest animal on the block he is asserting his dominance over me and i have to say he is winning!!!!!!!!!

I am not well and ithink that has not helped. Right time to put the stiff upper lip on and forget me I sooooooo need to sort out this pup as my daughter would probably never forgive me if i handed him to some one else.
ps my hubby as given us a month to sort this out or we will have to part with him i think.

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 12:03 »
Is he escaping to go looking for a mate, has he been neutered. I am not really keen on such measures but it may be the answer.
If next doors cat has left deposits in your garden in the past be sure to remind them of the fact. ;)

rachelr

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 21:04 »
Hi 8doubles

yes he has been neutured so we know that is not the problem. He is loving digging and running and bringing himself home. In the olden days this would have been fine and he really would not be in any rela problem from traffic its just he is using the neighbours fence to get out into the fields and of course he has to try that tempting cat food and leave a present incase the neighbours think he is being rude lol

I know this may seem daft but he has even got my lab cross to dig for him so he can get through quicker and the lab has no idea. also he is white so he knows i know when he is covered in mud and look for holes and plug them.

He is soooo clever or should i say sly tee hee

twissle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 21:20 »
lol My jrt used to help my springer dig his way out :D. Does he do it when your in the garden?

rachelr

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 21:51 »
sometimes he does do it when i am there as the garden is quite large he finds a big hedge and they both dig under it. he made a break for the otherside today. her garden is soooo pristine i was too scared to say anything just waited for him to come back then plugged another hole he had dug. i am thinking of investin in ready made cement

twissle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 22:06 »
Thank god my mine's not doing it any more. what about oil of cloves it might put him off going near that side of the garden

Ribbit

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 11:27 »
Terriers were bred for digging, They can easily get distracted and bored so you have to keep them entertained. If you don't they'll most likely take themselves off on a wander. Have some toys at the ready and change them every week or so also play with him more often. :) i hope this helps :)
It's like America...But south!

Junie

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 11:46 »
This may sound a bit daft, but the naughty step idea worked with our JRT when he was catching chickens or ran away dispite being called bac.

When we first got him, he was going to live outside in the kennel, and did for a few weeks, but he gradually wormed his way into the house!  But if he ran away, or went for the chickens or killed a duck, he would go into the kennel for a few hours, when he came out he would not get excell fuss, but we would behave normally. 
He has not been in the kennel all summer so it seems to have worked.
Although on one of his wanders ( we live surrounded by fields and woods which he explores) he did get caught in a "Ragoudin" trap ( like a beaver but  with a tail like a rat!)  I found him eventually in the trap by our neighbours lake - he was after the apple!  He doesn't tend to go down that way anymore!

Our dog was rescue, his previous owner had given him up becuase he kept escaping - he would dig, but they sorted then, he then jumped two metres to get over the fence - Terriers are determined little things.  He has the freedom he need with us, and can go chasing rabbits as often as we want to let him, it must have been a difficult decision for the previous owner, he is a lovely dog, but I am sure he is glad that they did.
I hope that you get this sorted it must be a worry.

8doubles

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 12:07 »
Had to look the 'Ragoudin' up as i`d never heard of it. They were called coypu over here but i believe the Norfolk ones have been eradicated.

They made better fur coats than apple eating JRs would. :)

compostqueen

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 18:27 »
I had a Houdini of a JRT and he would usually find another escape route just as soon as we blocked off his last exit.  Exercise is the key to getting a JRT to calm down. Once he had his long walk where he could run for miles, not easy as he hated every other creature on the planet, he was calm and well behaved.  Training them is very hard as they are so wilful and headstrong, and ours was not food orientated either.

You should persist with the exercise on your scooter and I think your dog would get used to it. He needs loads of exercise to burn off all that energy and if he doesn't get it then you'll never get any peace.  They are tearaways and if not fully stimulated they go nuts

xx
Hedgehog breaks for freedom

Started by scabs on Pets without Feathers

16 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 10:28
by amurdin
xx
Found It.........Making Bacon.

Started by Potiron on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post August 24, 2009, 18:21
by Rubellite

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 38 queries.