Timber for cloches

• 2 Replies

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
Timber for cloches
« on: February 06, 2014, 15:41 »
Hello,

I'm planning on building myself a couple of hoop frame cloches - the Geoff Hamilton ones - with a wooden base (because I like the idea of being able to lift off the whole frame when I need to weed and water).

My question is - what would be the best timber to use for the base? I'm not very strong (5' 3", female and have had back surgery!), so I'm thinking 2x2 - would this be strong enough? My beds are roughly 4' by 9'.

Secondly - anyone know the best place to get timber - it would need to be delivered as I haven't got means of transport?

Thank you!

cadalot

Re: Timber for cloches
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 16:56 »
Get treated timber from a fencing company will be cheaper than DIY or Champions and why not make mini or half bed ones - I've been using 50mm x 25mm roof battens which are cheaper if obtained from a roofing material supplier.

Goosegirl

Re: Timber for cloches
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 14:32 »
Get treated timber from a fencing company will be cheaper than DIY or Champions and why not make mini or half bed ones - I've been using 50mm x 25mm roof battens which are cheaper if obtained from a roofing material supplier.
Good idea cadalot for small ones that would be easier to move around. You can push them together over a larger area or use them as singles.  Kajazy - good on you for remembering our Geoff - my hero and loved him to bits!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Treated timber

Started by the Kergan on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 16:09
by derek-765
xx
Timber Glue

Started by JCloth on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post November 02, 2008, 16:36
by JCloth
xx
Making a raised bed- suitable timber?

Started by 1jim on Design and Construction

17 Replies
Last post March 31, 2010, 22:30
by Trillium
xx
what paint for timber for raised beds

Started by 1jim on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 19:17
by pairofacres

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 38 queries.