Asparagus advice

• 4 Replies

Robert_S

• Experienced Member
Asparagus advice
« on: September 02, 2011, 10:39 »
Morning all  :D

My plot neighbor has given me some asparagus seedlings yesterday, which I think he sowed in about June or July. I was planning to buy some asparagus crowns next April time, and have a permanent bed already in place for them. The question is, will these seedlings be worth it? I read that asp. grown from seed should be sown in April...? They are pretty small, only a few inches high. It would be a shame to waste them, and also the idea of saving a few quid not having to buy asp. crowns is appealing, but if it's going to add an extra year onto an already long wait then I'd possibly rather not bother.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Asparagus advice
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 11:12 »
Tricky decision!

Bought crowns will be at least 1 year old and would normally be planted next spring; your seedlings are only a matter of weeks old and would probably have to be overwintered indoors, but then again they are free!  :)

I'd probably try and keep them growing indoors as long as possible, see whether they survive the winter (although the foliage will of course die back) and then take it from there.

I'd also check the variety; some modern varieties are more productive than others and I'd ideally want all-male plants; if I wasn't sure or happy about what I'd got I'd probably dump them (and silently curse my generous plot neighbour!)  :wacko:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Robert_S

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 11:21 »
Thanks JayG, that makes the decision easier...will take them home and see what happens. The variety was the other issue...I would rather choose my own for something which is such a long term investment as asparagus.

He's given me some globe artichoke plants as well, but that's another subject and not such a dilemma.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 15:27 »
I grew masses (about 250 plants) in Zimbabwe mainly from crowns..  I also tried some from seed that I collected... They did grow well but was a bit slow on the uptake... I love trying new things and would give them a chance... free is always good and worth a try... I would also get some crowns next year.. do your own comparisons and let us all know the results..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 16:51 »
Asparagus should crop for 20 years and therefore it wil pay to invest in the best. Modern sterile hybrid crowns planted next Spring may be lightly harvested the following Spring and fully harvested the year after. Your seedlings will keep you waiting at least a year longer and probably 2.

Sterile hybrids do not produce berries/seeds to infest your plot with seedlings. Because they do not waste energy producing seed and because of their hybrid vigour they outyield the old varieties.

Your neighbours seedlings may be from a seed packet, but they may be grown from berries on their plants, or even dug up from around their plot where the seeds have fallen.

Avoid dried out crowns from garden shops. Go direct to a good supplier e.g.

www.asparagus-in-kent.co.uk

xx
Advice on ASPARAGUS

Started by argonaut on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 30, 2014, 08:50
by Nobbie
xx
Asparagus advice

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 11, 2017, 09:58
by Hampshire Hog
xx
(More!) Asparagus advice please

Started by JoyPegs on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 23, 2022, 08:48
by JoyPegs
xx
asparagus advice

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 21:51
by Trillium

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 37 queries.