eggs under broody hen – what next?

• 4 Replies

Miss Bean

eggs under broody hen – what next?
« on: May 18, 2010, 16:25 »
I just want to check that I'm getting all this right…

I popped 5 hatching eggs under my broody Friday 14th May (no. 6 broke in the post) I'd let them settle at room temp for the previous 24hrs.

Catastrophe on Sunday as one egg had broken under the hen and we had a right ol' mess. One of the other eggs has stuck to her breast feathers, so opted to swiftly pull it off before I let her into the run.

I take her off the nest every morning and she's generally back in place within 15 mins or so.

I plan to candle the eggs this coming Friday to check for fertility.

The nest box is about a foot from the ground and I'm wondering what will happen when (if) the chicks hatch. They'll need water and food… should I attempt to rig up something at nest box level?
Lesley, loves growing beans!

cornishgirl

Re: eggs under broody hen – what next?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 22:29 »
You will need to create a safe environment for the chicks (and Mum) - so on the level with the nest box (or move them when Mum is settled with them). If you are creating a run remember to put something in the corners, eg cardboard to roung them off so the chicks don't get traped and smothered. I have a broody at the mo who has decided to nest above the ground so am working this one through as well!

Miss Bean

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 14:25 »
Thanks for the advice! I can make an area for her in our shed where my other girls can't get, that should do nicely!

In the first instance what should I do about food and water for the chicks… I mean when they're just hatched?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 14:46 »
you will need chick crumb and either a proper chick water drinker or a shallow dish with marbles or similar in for the water. Chicks have been known to drown in even shallow water. Mum will eat the crumb as well. The chicks usually take a couple of days for them to hatch and mum will bring them out to feed when she is ready. They can manage without for a couple of days whilst the rest are hatching.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Miss Bean

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 15:48 »
Thanks joyfull! I've been pondering this…  :wub:

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 37 queries.