New incubator, what temp?

• 2 Replies

redspookycooky

New incubator, what temp?
« on: March 04, 2012, 09:00 »
Hi i`ve just purchased a new incubator, well a very old metal one, but it works via still air and the ones we have been using are fan assisted, all my reading up says they should run on a higher temp of 38.8c, rather than the 37.5c that we were running the fan assisted on.
 Any one have any experience on still air incubators, good bad points? Are they right with the temp?

A bit concerned on using it now cos it seems a pain to get it to hold a constant temp without it fluctuating and that was when i was trying to run it at 37.5 so will have to try and get it to hold a higher temp aahhhhhh!.
Help and advice appreciated, thanks.

Been told by one poultry page to run it at 39c and on another page it says they run theirs at 37.5 same as fan assisted, still getting lots of conflicting advice, can anyone shed on light on this for me.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 22:09 by redspookycooky »

bood77

Re: New incubator, what temp?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 06:36 »
You should run it over night on  37.5 and see if it changes because it will need to be running for a little time to get the temp right  hope that helps

Mickle

Re: New incubator, what temp?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 07:59 »
Hello Redspooky

Yes still air machines are run at 102 deg F or 38.8,

Have you had a look at the temperature control system, a lot of the old ones had a Bellows and Micro-switch system where-by you altered the gap between the Bellows and the Micro-switch to adjust, locking it into place once a regular correct shut-off temp had been achieved, Fluctuations were mainly caused by tired bellows (Change it out) or failure to lock the bellows with the lock-nut.
Incubating with a still air is slightly different to forced draught in as much as a higher temp is required and ventilation is increased during the period.
Still the bellows machine were a sight better than the old paraffin felt control ones that I had to put up with as a younger man 

xx
incubator temp

Started by jarrode0 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 04, 2009, 21:34
by pigglywiggly
xx
incubator temp?

Started by scotty on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 23:12
by scotty
xx
Hatching Incubator Temp

Started by matthew2riches on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 05, 2009, 17:24
by matthew2riches
xx
What temp should the ducklings be kept at??

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 13, 2009, 10:21
by Foxy

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 38 queries.