First allotment

• 3 Replies

davel149

First allotment
« on: June 08, 2013, 14:08 »
Hi all.

I'm new to this game and haven't really done much in the way of growing things since I was a kid.
My wife and I have just taken our first allotment on and it will be ready and clear of weeds in about a week.
Any advice on where to begin in terms if what to plant first?
We were hoping to grow plenty of summer salad foods and of course veg and herbs.

Beetroot queen

Re: First allotment
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 14:25 »
 You must have a fairly tidy plot if its only going to take a week, one of ours took ten hours just to strim (oh my the memories)  ::)

Hqve you got stuff started at home ready. I am still sowing lettuce like mad, carrots have just come through. Beans, main crop peas. Etc etc

Radish are fast but some people struggle with them, me included  :blush:

Plot_29@_Lady_Mary

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 21:16 »
Congratulations on your new plot and welcome to the world of allotmenteering! When I got my plot late June last year, I cleared a small section just to get started. My plot was overgrown and had to be dug up and weeded to get things going. I did a couple of raised beds as well as it is the quickest way to get things going. I manage to grow quite a few veg successfully. I think you are not too late for runner beans, peas, courgettes and squashes. You can also start sowing brassicas like sprouts, broccoli and cabbages for harvest in December onwards. Later in the year, say around September you could sow oriental lettuces, pak choi and spinach. So, there is still a lot you can get going!  :)

mrswashi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 21:46 »
This is my first year and I love it! Even the weeding!
Radishes have done really well for me, so quick, about 3 to 4 weeks and you'll have something to eat  :D
Enjoy
Mrswashi

question
New allotment

Started by pontebuilder on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 22:15
by Yorkie
xx
My allotment

Started by durham_lass on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 01, 2007, 10:18
by sweet nasturtium
xx
New allotment help

Started by wizzywig27 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 19, 2013, 20:30
by Yorkie
xx
allotment

Started by marion on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 11, 2008, 21:36
by gobs

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 38 queries.