Funny egg whites

• 5 Replies

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
Funny egg whites
« on: November 04, 2009, 08:54 »
I've noticed that, over the last few weeks, the whites in my girls' eggs have gone funny.  Not ha-ha funny but a bit peculiar.

They seem to be in two "parts".  Both bits look like egg white but there is a firmer part surrounding the yolk and then, around that, a runnier bit.  It all tastes ok and all the girls' eggs are the same but I wondered if anyone else had had this and what it was...

Thanks x

8doubles

Re: Funny egg whites
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 09:24 »
That is how a fresh egg should be, they sit up nice and high in the frying pan unlike supermarket eggs which have runny whites .With fresh eggs the yolk takes a bit longer to cook but it`s worth the wait.

Sometimes the fresh egg whites will look a little cloudy but this is normal too. :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 09:41 »
My hens are off lay at the moment due to moulting and I have had to BUY eggs from the supermarket - best quality free range (they taste of nothing and have runny whites)  :tongue2:

I am so looking forward to my hens laying again so I can have eggs as 8doubles describes again.

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 09:54 »
Yes, 8doubles, the yolks do take longer to cook too.  Oh, I'm so glad it isn't something I've been doing wrong (feeding the girls wrong or something).

Sad, isn't it?  That I have to have someone tell me what a fresh egg looks like...

Thank you x

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 13:04 »
the whites are jelly like, and not runny like from the shops  :)  I think once you have your own eggs there's no going back.

You have my sympathies Aunt Sal, and I do hope that normal production is resumed asap

My poor girl has still not laid since being dragged about by foxy  :(

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 13:09 »
I bought some eggs off the person over the road who has chickens as I couldnt face supermarket ones with sloshy whites. Bought the eggs yesterday and today my girls have laid me 7 (from 5, possibly 6 girls if one of the young ones has started ???) - they were obviously shamed into it by the girls over the road :lol:

xx
Egg whites

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post September 04, 2007, 21:44
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Watery egg whites

Started by linzechris on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 15, 2009, 19:59
by Spadefighter
xx
Soft whites

Started by treecol on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2015, 19:37
by grinling
xx
Watery whites?

Started by Lost in France on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 09, 2012, 10:50
by Lost in France

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 39 queries.