HELP ! New Chick & No idea !!

• 13 Replies

jeffers71

« on: August 11, 2008, 18:55 »
Hi, My 5 year old son was given an egg by his uncle, that evening it hatched in the airing cupboard !(it is 18 hours old now)

We have got it in a box with a light on it and some water (we picked up some info from some websites). Now we some advice on what to do next in the short, medium and long term for this bird.

Our plan is to keep it (unless it's a Cockrell, I don't think the neighbours would like it !!) so we need to know what steps to take next.

So over to you, chicken experts !!

Any help would be gratefully received

Vember

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 19:00 »
eeek

I would thing first thing is food if its 18 hours old, you'll need chick crumbs, failing that a very short term as in over night thing is to give it some hard boiled egg yolk (cooled)

I can never think quick enough, someone else will be along soon who has a better brain than me  :lol:

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 19:16 »
Welcome jeffers71. You're in the best place for advice.

I would agree with vember. If you can get hold of chick crumb from a feed supplier or pet shop, that's ideal but boiled egg yolk is a temporary stop-gap. Also water in a shallow dish with some marbles or small clean pebbles in.
It also needs warmth. I've no idea what temperatures, but quite warm, I think, about 22+ degrees. Hopefully someone with a better idea can advise on that. And no draughts.

Good luck with it.
Whereabouts are you by the way ? Might be someone nearby.

Rob 8)

Porffor

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 19:24 »
Oh and if you haven't read to do so.. add some marbles or stones to the bottom of the water dish to stop the chick from drowning... what a marvel eh it hatching from an airing cupboard! :lol:
Congratulations! :)

Theresia

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 23:53 »
I use a saucer for water sprinkle some chick crumbs on the water encourages them to peckand drink you may need to dip the beak in water so it gets the idea but normaly they do it on their own.
Would the Uncle give you a couple of chicks for company for yours they like to huddle together.
Mine at a week old go into a large hamster cage, its easy to clean and they can see all around, in the conservoty.
6-8 weeks go into my greenhouse which is in the semi- shade and roof painted.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 07:11 »
Thinking a bit further ahead it is gonna need a friend ...............
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

jeffers71

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 07:57 »
Quote from: "Roughlee Handled"
Thinking a bit further ahead it is gonna need a friend ...............

I was advised not to introduce any other chicks as this one is on it's own and make catch infections etc. from any chicks added, and that they may not bond and that could cause more problems. Is this the case ??  :?

Vember

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 08:14 »
Hi Jeffers

In my opinion you would be best to try & get another chick to keep your little one company, but this isn't always easy.

Finding a breeder is one of the first probs and yes there are risks involved but there is in everything :)

It would need to be introduced soon if you were to get another because i think the older they get the more difficult this becomes :?

I have never done it with chicks, geese yes but not chicks :D

See what other folks say?

Sorry I'm not much help  :?  

Sarah :)

Theresia

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 09:24 »
I find chicks bond, might be over interested in each other, but the pecking order comes later when older that when problems come in.
Do try to get one from Uncle same batch if poss then no risk of infection.
I have heard of peps putting a budgie mirror in with them and a soft cuddly toy to cuddle up to.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 09:39 »
I think that if it is only a day or two old there won't be problems with bonding but infection always would be a small risk. They are such social animals would have thought they would need company. I have introduced new ducklings to one that way left alone by the death of his siblings and they immediately bonded. No experience of chicks though :roll:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

conventgirl

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 10:26 »
Hiya!

I am currently sitting with 2 4 week old chicks on my knee that i have become "mum" to.  They are just adorable but i dont seem to be able to done!  They follow me eveywhere...i went and weeded the front garden yesterday and they were quite happy to follow me to a different border and back in the house when i had done  :)

I have had these since they were 5 days old so i would recommend feeding them on chick crumb and boiled egg yolk just like every one else on here.  I would agree about getting it a little friend as they like to snuggle up to each other and "chat".  I let mine out in the garden under supervision so they can have a peck at the grass and a bit of a run around but make sure you dont leave them out too long so they dont get cold.

I keep them warm by putting a hot water bottle into their day box and refilling it as needed.  A nice warm snuggley arm or up a jumper is a favorite too  :wink: they also have a toy duck to snuggle up to.  At night i have a box with a light bulb which i switch on around 1.5hrs before they go to bed.  I have attached a mop head on one side which acts as a mother hen.  I also put a hot water bottle in under the mop head to give them heat throughout the night (i would recommend keeping the light off unless you want to be kept awake!)  Once they are under the mop head i put a dark tea towel over them.  That manages to keep them warm over night.

Once they get a little bigger like my 2 they love a little bit of porridge made with water and trying tiny bits of corn.

Have fun   :)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 10:29 »
Quote from: "conventgirl"
.....I am currently sitting with 2 4 week old chicks ......

Twentyfour chicks WOW.

AND WHERE ARE THE PHOTOS. YOU KNOW IT IS THE LAW ROUND HERE.

conventgirl

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 10:39 »
No not 24!!!  two fourweek olds  :wink:

I would be covered in poo by now!!!

I no the law...got probs with pc but once fixed (which should be soon) will be posting pics of the chicks and my other chucks too  

x

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 10:42 »
:oops:

xx
Normal chick behaviour after their sister chick dies?

Started by Katrishwa on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 22:11
by Katrishwa
xx
guess what breed this chick is - MY WHITE PEACOCK CHICK

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 11:16
by CMFAM
xx
When will they get the idea?

Started by sunshinemedic on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 16, 2008, 17:22
by sunshinemedic
xx
any idea what it could be

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 17:12
by karlooben

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 35 queries.