sorry, another courgette question

• 8 Replies

seanandde

sorry, another courgette question
« on: July 27, 2010, 11:47 »
I'm a long term gardener, only recently started to try a few veg and completely out of my depth so apologies for so many random and what I am sure are basic questions!

The "courgette" plants I planted about a month ago (going cheap at my nursery, had a few courgettes on already which grew and have been harvested) appear to have very few females flowers which aren't developing beyond the tightly closed, green budding stage, about 1/2 long.  Plenty of male flowers opening daily though a fair few of those also seem to be rotting/dropping off (at a more developed, orange coloured stage) before opening.

There's absolutely no disease on the plants; they're well (too well?) watered, in plenty of sun and plenty of well rotted manure was added at planting time - they're in old, large half barrels.

Woman at the nursery says I'm being impatient as they've only recently been planted though she admits to having had only one courgette off all her plants (planted in May) off the same variety as ours... so she said "it's probably the weather" ??

Separately, the plants were labelled 'marrow' - ALL courgettes are simply 'baby' marrows, yes?  My OH disagrees as those few we harvested early, even though small, had developed the marrow-like, bulbous one end, appearance.

Any help appreciated - thank you :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: sorry, another courgette question
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 11:52 »
It's not uncommon for the female flowers of relatively young courgette plants to fail to develop, so maybe she is right and you should give it a little while longer.

As regards the marrow issue - the "true" marrow has a thicker skin than a courgette, hence why it stores better than the oversized courgettes we also tend to call marrows.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

seanandde

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 11:58 »
Thanks for that confirmation.  I was prepared to go with 'impatient' as they'd only recently been transplanted from small pot to tub.

Will put a bit more thought into it next year rather than picking up a few bargains as an after thought for the empty barrel... from what you've said I think we do have 'true' marrows; those we ate, despite being very small, had thicker skins than I expected which were also a little hairy/rough.  You live and learn!

hamstergbert

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 12:12 »
They also tend to be more successful in the ground rather than in tubs - certainly don't need quite as much watering to keep 'em alive.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

seanandde

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 12:23 »
I'm a bit of an impulsive gardener.  Marrow plants on offer at 20p; empty half barrels at home = marrow plants in barrels.  More research, thought and planning for next year if we actually want something to eat for our efforts :)

I've another empty half barrel - is there anything (veg wise) that relatively simple for someone new to growing veg that we can plant now or am I better off saving the barrel space until a more appropriate time of year for planting?  I guess it's too late for potatoes?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 13:11 »
Mine (sown at the appropriate time, nurtured, grown on in large pots so I could hold back in greenhouse to avoid cold nights at the end of May) are only just starting to produce more than "the odd one or two" ... so your nursery plant is probably a bit behind that

I water mine pretty much every night (as you will know that's not the normal approach for getting plants established, and I only do that for Courgettes / Squash) so I doubt you are giving yours too much. I have a 2L pot sunk into the ground next to the plant so that I am watering slowly-ish and from-below, so to speak; Courgettes are pretty robust, but Cucumbers / Squash / Courgettes / and other members of that family are not mad about getting their stems wet.

seanandde

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 13:18 »
Thanks, Kristen, another good tip.  I've been spraying mine with the hose - will water at soil level from now on!  And be a little more patient with them.  They put on a tremendous amount of growth even within 48 hours of planting - just the problem with the flowers... patience, patience... never was one of my virtues.

daisy1990

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 13:24 »
I went to Scampston Garden this morning and saw courgettes grown as climbers (up 10ft high poles) they looked great and were being grown as food for the hall, so may give it a go next year!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

hamstergbert

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 14:03 »
I've another empty half barrel - is there anything (veg wise) that relatively simple for someone new to growing veg that we can plant now or am I better off saving the barrel space until a more appropriate time of year for planting?  I guess it's too late for potatoes?

If you have any salad leaf type of seeds available, they are pretty useful.  Lollo rosso, red fire, that kind of thing.  Depending on the size of your barrel you could put in a lollo rosso or two into mpc with a scoop of blood fish and bone mixed in.  Just make sure that you keep them well watered and reasonably out of the worst of the sun to delay bolting and you can have frequent little 'picks' for weeks (especially good at suppertime just to pop outside the kitchen door and come back with a handful of assorted leaves to boost the sandwich)  When they start getting on a bit, start up some more so they are ready to take over occupation immediately you finish off the first lot.
You can also drag your barrel into the greenhouse at the back end to extend the season somewhat.

p.s. Webbs wonderful and those standard-ish lettuces probably not worth it as they take too long and then you have to take the whole thing.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 14:07 by hamstergbert »

xx
Courgette Growing-Pollination question(probably a silly novice type question!)

Started by Marcus10 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 10:11
by compostqueen
xx
courgette question

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2011, 21:51
by Yorkie
xx
Another courgette question

Started by chrisnchris on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 20, 2013, 22:11
by kermit
xx
courgette question

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 21, 2007, 08:35
by Knulpuk

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 35 queries.