How to over-winter these new plants ?

• 3 Replies

mrs bouquet

How to over-winter these new plants ?
« on: December 13, 2020, 11:22 »
I am ashamed to say that in the autumn I ought two new Hydrangea.   They are in 2 or 3 litre plastic pots and currently sitting on the patio because I never got round to planting them in their proper large tubs  :blush:
What would be the best site for them (assuming they will not be planted up now until early spring).
Shall I put them in the unheated greenhouse, put outside the back door in an open porch or leave where they are.   :unsure:.  Yes I know I have been bad.     Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

snowdrops

Re: How to over-winter these new plants ?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 11:38 »
I’d put them in the open porch so you don’t forget to water them or they blow away. I always have loads waiting to be planted, but this year I have been very good & stopped myself buying any,,,well almost lol. The garden needs a good sort out next year & after all that’s gone on this year it will be my guilty pleasure plus I’ve £100 gift voucher from my birthday that I’ve not spent yet.
Although Mrs B did I tell you I bought myself an armillary having spied your one? I’ve not put it out yet until I do that sort out & find a good spot. I don’t think it’s a ‘real’ one & I don’t think it’works’ does yours ?
image.jpg
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 14:39 »
Thanks Snowdrop, I was leaning toward the porch area, as I can easily watch them.
My armillary is an old one, and it does work.  I think your will as well.  When you site it, just make sure that the dial is pointing at the right time.    Mine was put up in BST..     It looks lovely, good luck and thanks.  Mrs B

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 22:53 »
Mrs. B, your winter low temperatures (zone 8 ) are very similar to mine in Georgia. I grow Hydrangeas here, several types. Go ahead and plant them in the containers you intended to put them in.

The plants are tough, they will survive regardless. If severe cold is forecast, you can help the plant's future blooms by tarping them with plastic through a cold spell. Even better to do that if the planters are next to a wall of your house.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 01:38 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 38 queries.