Bayliss Autovent **help**

• 10 Replies

AndyRVTR

Bayliss Autovent **help**
« on: April 24, 2021, 18:29 »
Does anyone know how to adjust these so the window opens as wide as possible as the greenhouse gets too hot.
My old one used to open the window a good 15-18" wide, but this one only opens around 7"!
It's been 36⁰c in there today but it only opens so far..
20210423_130718_copy_1734x2312.jpg
20210423_130724_copy_1734x2312.jpg
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 18:32 by AndyRVTR »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Bayliss Autovent **help**
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 19:52 »
It depends how far you screw the opening rod onto the part that fixes to the window frame. Sorry can't remember whether it needs to be screwed in further or less..  :blush:

AndyRVTR

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 20:21 »
When I turn the black adjuster knob clockwise, the window closes, when I turn the knob anticlockwise the window opens, but even when it's turned anticlockwise onto the last thread it still only opens 7". Are you saying the rod screws into the plunger part?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 08:37 by AndyRVTR »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 22:51 »
Have you still got the instruction leaflet?
If not, you can view them here https://www.baylissautovents.co.uk/how-to-fit/

AndyRVTR

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 08:40 »
Thanks Lesley, I'll try setting it again!

AndyRVTR

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 13:01 »
Well, I've tried resetting from the instructions and set it to open at around 25⁰c, it's currently 35⁰c and still only open 6-7"... this has got me stumped!!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 14:05 »
If you've had it a few years and it used to open further than it does now, it could be the piston assembly is failing.

Spares are available: https://www.baylissautovents.co.uk/spares/

I've had mine about 10 years now, and it's never opened the window more than about half way - not sure whether that makes a big difference to the amount of warm air being allowed to escape compared to it being more fully open.  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

AndyRVTR

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 15:05 »
The thing is, this one is brand new, I replaced the old one as I thought it was failing because it was only opening the same distance?

If you've had it a few years and it used to open further than it does now, it could be the piston assembly is failing.

I've had mine about 10 years now, and it's never opened the window more than about half way - not sure whether that makes a big difference to the amount of warm air being allowed to escape compared to it being more fully open.  :unsure:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2021, 17:01 »
Bayliss seem like a company that cares about its products and its customers - could be worth getting in touch to see if there's a way of checking whether your autovent is within spec (e.g. the maximum angle the operating arm should open to at 'x' degrees.)

As previously mentioned, and I can't prove it, my gut feeling is that as long as the window opens as far as in your picture, the hot air can escape almost as freely as if it was wide open.

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2021, 20:45 »
The thing is, this one is brand new, I replaced the old one as I thought it was failing because it was only opening the same distance?

So does that mean you felt it used to open more? If so how much more?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

AndyRVTR

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2021, 21:45 »
Yes, the old one used to open way more, at least twice as much depending on temperature..

So does that mean you felt it used to open more? If so how much more?

xx
Autovent Temperature?

Started by Pimento on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post May 20, 2012, 18:46
by davel831

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 49 queries.