Christmas dinner?

• 9 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Christmas dinner?
« on: December 17, 2016, 09:10 »
Are you going for the full traditional turkey dinner or off on a tangent ? 

OH pulled a face at the idea of turkey, so we are going for duck.  As long as there are plenty of roast potatoes and I have an excuse or bread sauce, its fine by me  8) 

My favourite bit is leftover roasties and cold bread sauce from the fridge the next day.  Feel free to pull faces and go 'bleuuuggghh', but I love it  :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Christmas dinner?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 09:15 »
Left over roasties yes ... left over bread sauce not for me lol

We are having beef wellington at our son's house, with all the usual festive accompaniments. Supper a our daughter's house with cold turkey sandwiches and left over roasties..

Win-win!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 09:57 »
Roast beef at ours this year, but I've ordered a turkey breast to be cooked probably Christmas Eve for sandwiches in the following days, will be making the bread & cranberry sauce to acccompany them. Dd has requested we still have stuffing with the beef!🤔
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 22:55 »
Traditional. Picking up our turkey tomorrow from Paul Kelly, the guy who is always on the telly talking about turkeys.

We are having some home smoked salmon, smoked trout pate and smoked crevette with mustard and dill sauce and seeded rye bread to start.

the roast turkey, spuds, parsnips, broccoli, cauliflower, beans, glazed carrots, celeriac in garlic, mustard and crème fraiche and Brussels in a bacon, mushroom and cream sauce.

with pigs in blankets, bacon wrapped stuffing terrine, with a chesnut and pancetta stuffing, boar and cranberry stuffing. And gravy of course.

Christmas pud and rum sauce or diabetic trifle or cherry and chocolate trifle with a white chocolate mousse, topped with whipped cream with kirsch and topped with chocolate.

We have a cheeseboard of West Country cheeses with an apricot, fig and nut log, grapes, smoked nuts, various oat biscuits, some with walnuts or cheese or black pepper and some fruit cheeses, quince, damson, blackberry and rosemary, beetroot and apple with walnut.

Coffee and mini mince pies, with peach and amaretti, or pineapple and coconut frangipane, or cranberry macaroon.

Home made chocolates, raspberry truffle heart, praline truffles decorated like Christmas puddings and chocolate brandy acorn truffles.

Quite traditional really.

LILLILEAF

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 09:35 »
For us turkey topped with a bacon jacket,roast spuds,sprouts,stuffing bread sauce hot!!,and gravy for me husband hates gravy,best bit crispy bacon off the turkey for breakfast yum.
Of course the Christmas dinner later in the day.Lillileaf

lettice

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 10:26 »
Christmas Day is very tarditonal here too and this year like many decdaes of them before will be;
Breakfast about 7am
Couple of fried eggs, few rashers of streaky bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms, fried bread and black pudding.
Loads of tea.
Always need a hearty breakfast to get you through the morning for opening of the presents and the lunch preparation.

Lunch, always at 1pm
Fresh local butchers Roast Turkey with sage and onion stuffing inside and a separate homemade herby stuffing.
Crispy Bacon and butter (only time in the year we use real butter) over the turkey
Butchers chipolata Sausages in and around the turkey.
Roast potatoes (Maris Piper bag I always keep special in the potato shed just for Christmas), parsnips.
Sprouts, cauli, carrots, leeks, swede.
All veg and herbs apart form the swede is our own homegrown.
Broad beans and peas from freezer, ours picked earlier this year.

Pudding is always a Christmas pudding with a choice of double cream, whipped cream and brandy sauce.
Hot mince pies after.

For tea around 7pm
Cold slice turkey, smoked salmon, pate and home cooked ham (ham which we would have already attacked on Christmas Eve)
Array of gherkins in differing prepared spices and marinades that we throw together Christmas Eve.
Pickles and pickled veg, many homemade like our pickled onions, pickled beetroot, pickled cucumber, piccalilli and tomato chutney.
A huge cheeseboard with many different crackers.

We always have turkey sandwiches about 11pm for supper, just a few.

Turkey will last us for another four days.
Cold for tea and lunch as above with pickles and cheese.
Always one lunchtime curried. Another with slices of turkey and fresh roast potatoes, parsnips and loads of veg.
Each evening for supper turkey and ham sandwiches.

During the Christmas break we will be eating nuts, chocs, all kinds of crisps, snacks and twiglets too. Yum!

Of course, gravy and bread sauce all home made always ready for when its wanted.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 10:36 by lettice »

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 14:28 »
Breakfast: As per the other 365 days in 2016, stewed fruit with yoghurt followed by two tomato sandwiches on home-made bread
Lunch: at our daughters with her husband and two little boys will include turkey, pigs in blanket, pork, stuffing, roast spuds, parsnip and sprouts followed by Christmas pud and a mince pie
Tea: back home to include turkey sandwiches and another mince pie to be followed by a quiet three hours with a dram or two reading one of my Christmas books and trying to look vaguely interested in the TV and its usual Christmas Night rubbish (which my wife invariably watches and gets upset if I retire to another room)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 10:52 »
All change here  :lol:

OH decided turkey would be nice after all, so the duck is on hold for New Year and we now have a turkey crown, ready stuffed and laced with a bacon jacket.  Pigs in blankets, stuffing balls, roast potatoes, veg, gravy and bread sauce to go with it.  Neither of us like Christmas pud that much, so a chocolate dessert if we have room.

I'm also cooking a gammon joint tonight, so lots of cold cuts in the fridge for sandwiches and meals over the next few days.  I've got a fine array of homemade pickles, chutneys and even a fruit cheese to perk things up as well  :D 

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 22:58 »
A Kelly turkey eh Mrs Bee?   Lovely!  When we grew our own turkeys, we bought them as day olds from Paul.  Sometimes we went to Chelmsford to collect them, other years we collected them at a near by farm, but they were always lovely!  We've had the White Plumpies and the Kelly Bronze.

We are having turkey tomorrow for a change, but Brian is taking me out for dinner, and e said he is cooking me breakfast.  He is trying to be nice at the moment.  I shall make the most of it, as I know it won't last! LOL

LILLILEAF

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2016, 19:15 »
the turkey was so soft and tender,it had been in the freezer since last year,they freeze very well.
The bacon jacket was yummy for breakfast,all together with spuds and sprouts bread sauce gravy a very nice dinner cooked by both of us.

xx
Christmas dinner in the garden

Started by tosca100 on Kitchen Natter

14 Replies
Last post December 27, 2014, 11:37
by tosca100
xx
Christmas dinner cost £8 for 6 people

Started by barley on Kitchen Natter

8 Replies
Last post December 25, 2014, 03:55
by tosca100
xx
Tonights Dinner - will this work !

Started by mrs bouquet on Kitchen Natter

2 Replies
Last post August 19, 2020, 12:34
by snowdrops
xx
What have you cooked for Christmas ?

Started by snowdrops on Kitchen Natter

75 Replies
Last post December 26, 2014, 13:58
by New shoot

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 36 queries.