Do people really buy this stuff?

• 3 Replies

Mrs Bee

Do people really buy this stuff?
« on: July 24, 2015, 18:16 »
While whiling away a wet afternoon by knocking up a chocolate and raspberry birthday cake for my friend and chocolate cheesecake berry brownie bake I happened across the QVC channel.

The focus was Winterval food in July. They were getting all excited and trying to flog us food for the festival.

Three jars of salted caramel sauce, a chocolate sauce and some other for £20 with PP. :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:
And their resident chef had made some scones to serve with these sauces. Scones, rock cakes more like. :ohmy:

Don't people know how easy these sauces are to knock up.  You really don't need Anne Summers for body chocolate either. ::)
Who buys this stuff.

And fish fingers and fishcakes for £30.
And the presenters were getting sooooo excited about it all.

I felt the whole thing was totally surreal. :wacko:
Feel better getting that orf me chest, so better go and get the supper.

8doubles

Re: Do people really buy this stuff?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 19:38 »
There is a get it fresh ad that offers £15 off your first order for as i see it the ingredients for one meal .

I do not want to know what the home cooked meal would cost ! ::)

hamstergbert

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 20:30 »
In many ways all these channels - QVC, BidTV and the ilk - are the modern days equivalent of the old market stall barker who would wax rhapsodical over any old tat as long as there were any at all left on the stall or in the suitcase or down at the lockup!

The firms who place the product pay the channel and the deal is that the presenters go into spasms of delight whether for curiously priced foodstuffs or the old Fast Show special 'Gasmo-Gizmo...... 

Some lines are actually not too bad and the method is a useful one for suppliers either to clear a load of stock or alternatively dip a cheap toe in the water to assess probable demand and by extrapolation, market size.  However it is also clear that some of the lines would only stand a chance of seeming a good idea in the wee small hours of the morning when judgement goes out of the window.

A former client of mine fulfilled orders on behalf of one of their clients who used 'one of the sales channels'.  I recall that the standard of delivery addresses supplied by the TV people's order call handling set up was abysmal and the whole feel was rather casual to say the least.

I did hear that many of the tv sales channels were being sponsored by the British Insomnia Society....
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 20:32 by hamstergbert »
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 18:35 »
More than a few people do not know how to knock up this stuff nowadays, and the presenters do get paid to be soooo exited! :D

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

xx
Christmas dinner cost £8 for 6 people

Started by barley on Kitchen Natter

8 Replies
Last post December 25, 2014, 03:55
by tosca100

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 34 queries.