wretched oven

• 8 Replies

al78

wretched oven
« on: January 05, 2015, 23:42 »
I've been wondering why, for the last couple of months, everything I cook seems to come out burnt. I was wondering if I had somehow acquired useless man syndrome. Anyhow I've just done an experiment which involved putting a tablespoon of sugar on a baking tray in the oven set at 130C. What happened was after 12 minutes the sugar had turned into what looked like pure carbon and my kitchen filled with smoke when I opened the oven door. Something tells me the thermostat is not functioning properly.  ::) :mad:

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Re: wretched oven
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 23:48 »
I have replaced thermostats in gas and electric ovens and electric heating rings for electric ovens (repetition for clarity!) and it's cheap and easy.

Have a look on the Internet for the cost of replacing your part and if you think it's cost effective, let me know and I'll try and help you locate a video on how to replace that part.

Good luck!
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

al78

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 23:56 »
I have replaced thermostats in gas and electric ovens and electric heating rings for electric ovens (repetition for clarity!) and it's cheap and easy.

Have a look on the Internet for the cost of replacing your part and if you think it's cost effective, let me know and I'll try and help you locate a video on how to replace that part.

Good luck!

Thanks for the offer, but I only had the oven installed last year and it is still under guarantee so should be able to get an engineer out at no cost (at least I did last time it went wrong).

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 06:25 »
Being under guarantee at least is some good news. I wish you well with the engineer repair!

(You might watch him - just in case you need to do it some time in the future - but I hope not, fingers crossed!)

Here's to not having any more King Alfred's Burnt Buns!

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 06:31 »
Grrr ovens ours needs replacing but not this month. The door wont stay shut without a chair up against it, trouble is Harry loves chairs and climbing.

The repair and new door costs more than the double oven

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 09:13 »
I had this happen with a brand new Smeg oven and it was Christmas dinner. The turkey was carbon in about 20 minutes  :nowink:

I called in an Engineer and he tested it and found it ws 100 degrees too hot! >:( 

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 09:18 »
The books I have read (as a substitute for being able to cook!) recommend having an oven thermometer on the grounds that oven thermostats are frequently inaccurate - would also help highlight when the thermostats die :)

grinling

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 15:34 »
BQ have a request on freecyle/preloved etc as people buy in the sale and get ridof the oldones

chrissie B

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 16:15 »
Ah wish mine was gas but its not the ovens ok its fan we had to change the knobs as they just went round , the hob seems to have a mind of its own ind i carnt trust it on its own , i would like to have a new one and an oven we shall see.
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

xx
cheapest oven ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Kitchen Natter

2 Replies
Last post March 13, 2017, 19:07
by chrissie B
xx
Mini oven with hob

Started by jezza on Kitchen Natter

5 Replies
Last post February 15, 2023, 06:26
by Growster...
xx
just bought a halogen oven £39.00

Started by Madame Cholet on Kitchen Natter

21 Replies
Last post November 21, 2014, 07:48
by Madame Cholet
xx
Silicone oven mitts

Started by Lardman on Kitchen Natter

2 Replies
Last post July 29, 2014, 17:04
by Annen

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 35 queries.