Shhh... you know that day

• 29 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Shhh... you know that day
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2014, 00:10 »
Thanks for the explanation Grannie! Fruit cake is fairly common around that time of the year, but it doesn't seem super popular. It's kinda one of those things people love or hate. I remember liking it as a kid but I haven't had any since. Might have something to do with odd green colored cherries that are added to some to make it extra festive.  :tongue2:  it's kind of a running joke that people often re-gift fruit cake they've been given because no one really likes it!   :D

On a semi related note, I get so confused when pudding is mentioned here because I immediately think of jell-o pudding, which is quite different from bread pudding lol.

GREEN CHERRIES LotuSeed?    Oh no, got to be red ones here! LOL  I think more and more people over here seem to only like sponge cakes now.  My daughter's family only like sponge cake, so she only gets her seasonal bits when I make them and take them down to her when I visit in December.  So I make her a small cake, a small crimbo pudding (which is similar to bread pudding, but nicer!) and mincemeat so I can make her some mince pies!

LotuSeed

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2014, 01:00 »
Thanks for the explanation Grannie! Fruit cake is fairly common around that time of the year, but it doesn't seem super popular. It's kinda one of those things people love or hate. I remember liking it as a kid but I haven't had any since. Might have something to do with odd green colored cherries that are added to some to make it extra festive.  :tongue2:  it's kind of a running joke that people often re-gift fruit cake they've been given because no one really likes it!   :D

On a semi related note, I get so confused when pudding is mentioned here because I immediately think of jell-o pudding, which is quite different from bread pudding lol.

GREEN CHERRIES LotuSeed?    Oh no, got to be red ones here! LOL  I think more and more people over here seem to only like sponge cakes now.  My daughter's family only like sponge cake, so she only gets her seasonal bits when I make them and take them down to her when I visit in December.  So I make her a small cake, a small crimbo pudding (which is similar to bread pudding, but nicer!) and mincemeat so I can make her some mince pies!

Hahaha yes, green cherries to go along with the red ones of course! LOL.  It did give it a sort of stained glass effect when it was sliced though :lol:

My neighbor and I were discussing mincemeat the other day. She said she remembered eating it as a kid and that the recipe her mother made included meat. I can't recall ever having seen a mincemeat pie, savory or sweet. Interestingly enough, the very reason why we were even on the topic was because I had found a 100+ year old book of household management in my attic. There were loads of recipes for bread puddings and mincemeat! Very neat find I must admit.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2014, 03:38 »
The nearest thing to meat in mincemeat is suet which keeps it moist and sort of holds it together, but years ago there was meat in as your book probably told you. I made mine yesterday with butter, based on a Mary Berry recipe so very boozy...in fact I would say too boozy. (too much brandy LotuSeed) I can't get all ingredients here so have had to compromise.

The cake will need another shopping trip, we don't usually have rich fruit cake but rather fancy making one this year.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2014, 09:43 »
The green glace fruit was angelica, Mum used to make traffic light cakes with glace angelica, cherry and lemon in  :D

tosca100

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2014, 10:48 »
Used to love angelica, sort of stringy and grassy and very sugary, came in a long strip to cut to size. l suppose you can still get it.  But you used to be able to get multi coloured glace cherries, great for kiddies' parties pre-e.number worries. Can't remember if my old mum used to get them in Germany though. :unsure:

LotuSeed

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2014, 11:33 »
MOS- I've never had angelica before, but had read that the stalks can be candied.

Used to love angelica, sort of stringy and grassy and very sugary, came in a long strip to cut to size. l suppose you can still get it.  But you used to be able to get multi coloured glace cherries, great for kiddies' parties pre-e.number worries. Can't remember if my old mum used to get them in Germany though. :unsure:

That's what they were, glacé cherries! Odd things  :ohmy:

Is the alcohol content is 🙊 cake help it to keep for so long?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2014, 11:53 »
It does help to keep the cake longer, plus helps keep it lovely and moist.  I made one large square cake which I have cut into 4 to make small ones, 4 Christmas puds and 3 jars mincemeat and used a whole bottle of brandy in them!

I think that's where the old saying of have a MERRY C h r i s t m a s comes from!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lucky you finding that old book!  I have a few old cookery books, but nothing that old!  When we were in our last house, OH went up into the attic when we first moved in and said there's some old magazines up there, shall I get rid of them? 

When he brought them down, it was a full set of the Cordon Bleu Cookery Course from the 70's.  I'd always wanted them when I was younger, but couldn't afford them.  So now I have a full set! Covers just about evrything you want to know about cooking!  ;)

chrissie B

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2014, 15:14 »
well the deed is done and its cooking away and theres a nice rumy, spicy smell coming from the kitchen ahhhhhhhhh.
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

LotuSeed

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2014, 17:18 »
well the deed is done and its cooking away and theres a nice rumy, spicy smell coming from the kitchen ahhhhhhhhh.
chrissie b

Did you take any pictures Chrissie? What kinds of ingredients did you use?

Grannie the book is a family heirloom that no one knew was up there. When it's too cold to go digging in the garden, I dig in the attic! I think it dates to about 1889.

chrissie B

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2014, 17:57 »
well I usually use the Dundee recipie from the old bero book and add extra stuff but I lost my old book and have a newer one from daughter , my old one was quite hefty and had 5 eggs this one has only 3 but it seems there are less people eating fruit cake so a smaller one will be better , got some ginger chunks and sour cherries and cranburys  as well as the usual .
chrissie b

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2014, 01:07 »
Yes it is LotuSeed!  dark rich fuit cake, with lots of something alcoholic in it to keep it moist!  Mine has loads of brandy in it. Which is usually then covered with marzipan and icing and decorated.

But some people don't like marzipan or icing, so some have a Dundee cake, which again is rich and dark fruit cake, but the top is covered in almonds.
I don't like marzipan, icing or fruitcake!! :D
I'm useless at Christmas!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

LotuSeed

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2014, 10:08 »
HA! Not useless, that just means you leave more for those who do like them lol.  :lol:

tosca100

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2014, 12:05 »
Well, I've tried to resist, but yesterday we went shopping in our local cash and carry on a day pass. It was a last ditch attempt to get currants (no way) and glace cherries. I thought of you lot when I came across tubs of luminous green glace cherries, and cocktail cherries in the same colour. I resisted.

So my cake is currant-less. It has dark and golden raisins, dried cranberries, a few chopped prunes, lashings of cherries as I don't like candied peel, nuts and dried figs from the garden and the usual spices, sherry. lemon and orange zest and dark sugar. So as usual, I can't keep to a recipe! :lol:

The other thing I got which I haven't had for a year...LURPAK! Proper tasting (though spreadable) buttery stuff. Had some for breakfast (then hid it!) Yum :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2014, 12:59 »
Hid it? is it yours all yours, then?  :lol:

tosca100

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2014, 13:16 »
Oh YES! OH doesn't care what he has under his jam or in butties. You can't get salted butter here so I save the cream from the milk we get from the farm and when I have enough I make some. But it doesn't last long. He doesn't get that either! :D But I was brought up on Lurpak so it's a real, short lived and very expensive treat. :D

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 37 queries.