Shhh... you know that day

• 29 Replies

Plot46

Shhh... you know that day
« on: November 03, 2014, 04:45 »
I get the impression that we can't mention that day yet!!...you know that day...Chrimbo... Ohh dear..now I've gone and said it...never mind I'll scribble it out later before I post.

Any way back to the point, my good lady the Memsahib spent most of yesterday morning making 2 shhh cakes...I cant wait to have a slice, I wonder what's the chance's  of me getting a slice before that day??    I know no chance..
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 06:41 by New shoot »
Drinking rum before 11am doesn't make you an alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Shhh... you know that day
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 06:43 »
Tut tut  ::)  Aunty doesn't like us talking about that day until December Plot46 ....... and you had better leave those cakes alone if you want to make it that far  :lol:

Plot46

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 08:14 »

Point taken New Shoot....I know which side my bread is buttered... :lol:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 09:26 »
But if we want to share cake and pudding recipes we have to talk about it, New Shoot. ::)

Cakes and puddens need time to mature and be fed with copious amounts of alcohol. ::) Making them in December is cutting it too fine.

And if you try to purloin a slice of your good lady wife's Plot46, cake you may not see the big day. :lol: :lol:

I usually have a practice run with a small 'thingy' cake to keep Mr Bee in good humour and away from the main cake. :nowink:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 09:30 »
I thought it was Ice who started that one off?  or perhaps it was a joint decision?  ;) ;)

It's just a long standing joke between us 'oldies' on here Plot46, so don't worry about mentioning it, as you can see Auntie has doctored the scripts so that 'THAT' word doesn't appear until next month!  :lol: :lol:

So people enjoy finding other ways of writing it, as you just did!  ;)

I haven't tasted my Shhh cake yet, but as we are weight watching, I made a big square one and cut it into 4 smaller ones.  2 are for me and OH, one for my daughter, whose family don't like fruit cakes and I gave one to our old friends in the village who said it was the best cake they've had in there 80 years on this earth!

So that's good enough for me!  :D :D

Plot46

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 10:36 »

Cakes and puddens need time to mature and be fed with copious amounts of alcohol. ::) Making them in December is cutting it too fine.

The more alcohol the better I say Mrs Bee.

I haven't tasted my Shhh cake yet, but as we are weight watching, I made a big square one and cut it into 4 smaller ones.  So that's good enough for me!  :D :D

Making a big "un"  that's what the memsahib done, then cut into 4, and these will go to 4 older ladies that she knows. This way they get to have a slice on the day, in fact 2 of the ladies are coming to us for chrimbo dinner, that way they wont be on their own.

We will have our own cake for the day, and pudding...that's what I'm thinking of tackling myself...now 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 12:40 by Plot46 »

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 10:43 »
Don't forget the cheese!
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

Mrs Bee

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 16:23 »
Don't forget the cheese!

Oh, yes. A nice wensledale or Lancashire goes well with the   S M A X cake.

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 17:42 »
Don't forget the cheese!

Oh, yes. A nice wensledale or Lancashire goes well with the   S M A X cake.

I like a really strong cheddar with mine.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

chrissie B

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 16:57 »
any one made their ********* cake yet ive usually got mine done will have to get a wriggle on
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 17:23 »
Made it yesterday! Only 1 week later than usual. :)

LotuSeed

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 23:13 »
Ok this might be a really stupid question, but what IS a  :wacko: cake? Is it like fruit cake?
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 23:36 »
Yes it is LotuSeed!  dark rich fuit cake, with lots of something alcoholic in it to keep it moist!  Mine has loads of brandy in it. Which is usually then covered with marzipan and icing and decorated.

But some people don't like marzipan or icing, so some have a Dundee cake, which again is rich and dark fruit cake, but the top is covered in almonds.

Don't you have that over there?

LotuSeed

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 00:06 »
Thanks for the explanation Grannie! Fruit cake is fairly common around that time of the year, but it doesn't seem super popular. It's kinda one of those things people love or hate. I remember liking it as a kid but I haven't had any since. Might have something to do with odd green colored cherries that are added to some to make it extra festive.  :tongue2:  it's kind of a running joke that people often re-gift fruit cake they've been given because no one really likes it!   :D

On a semi related note, I get so confused when pudding is mentioned here because I immediately think of jell-o pudding, which is quite different from bread pudding lol.

chrissie B

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 16:37 »
I think I will make mine this weekend just need cherries brazils and some butter and im good to go
chrissie b

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 35 queries.