strawberry seeds

• 13 Replies

Charl89

• Experienced Member
strawberry seeds
« on: June 22, 2012, 22:11 »
are strawberry plants easy to grow from seed? i am getting runners off my other ones but my main plants are on there last fruiting season and wanted to extend the patch more.

thanks

Plot74

• tilly
Re: strawberry seeds
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 22:38 »
Pot some of the runners for next year.
As long as they are a good tasting stab they will be fine.
You can pot them while still attached to the mother plat then when well rooted just snip them off.
John
John
A gardeners work is never done.

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 23:04 »
I was thinking about sowing strawberry seeds only last night but it does seem a lot of faffing about and I read that if you are lucky enough to get some plants they won't produce fruit in the first year anyway, is this right?
If so then it will be potting the runners for me also.
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 02:44 »
Strawberry seeds are very easy to start and can give you a much bigger yield cheaply than runners.

Like a number of plants, you can't expect berries the first year. Started early, you might get something the 2nd year and definitely the 3rd year.

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 08:13 »
My mum bought me a single strawberry plant last year and I got around 8 strawberries off it.  However, it threw off runners like crazy and I potted up all of them.  This year I have 38 strawberry plants!  I wasn't expecting much this year, with it being their first season, but in fact they are absolutely covered in flowers!  Yum yum.  Good value for money menthinks   :D
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

Charl89

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 12:55 »
i have been taking the runners but i want more, this why i am looking at seedsto add more to crop. I love strawberries and love giving them to friends and family so my plan is to add more varities. i might get a few seeds and give them a bash lol

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 13:00 »
I am just about to pot up my runners there seems to be loads of the this year. I did get some alpine strawberry seeds earlier in the year, I have not done anything with them yet I was planning on sowing them in Autumn and over wintering them in the greenhouse then plant them out next year. Don't know if it will work or not we will see :)

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 14:33 »
Too bad you weren't able to first pick off the seeds of the ones you ate  ;) They would quickly sprout since they're still fresh and you'd have whacks more of the same variety. When I've finished cleaning berries for jam or whatever, I always throw the cleanings out into the strawb patch and they'll self sow themselves.

LilacSandy

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 15:49 »
I have tried 4 packets and did not get one plant.  Probably me but I cannot get them to grow.  :(  I now take runners from all my plants.

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 18:50 »
Treat them like petunias and just drop the seed on the soil surface and gently press to make contact with the soil. Don't cover with more soil, but do water from below.

I find the fresher seed right off the berries themselves germinate the fastest.

wilbzfishing

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 00:56 »
My 10 year old daughter got a grow your own strawberrt bucket as a gift for easter it was a small tin bucket, small bag of compost and a packet of strawberry seeds, she just scattered the seeds on top of the compost in the bucket, and I think everyone has come through, there are hundreds, so pricking them out into individual pots at the moment.  When is best to move them to growing place or should we keep in pots for a while

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 03:14 »
Wait until they're a bit bigger and you think they could fend for themselves in the garden. Put them in too small and weeds could easily overwhelm them. Once in the garden, you'll need to keep them weeded and water regularly (if needed) and they'll able to care for themselves soon.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 06:40 »
I am just about to pot up my runners there seems to be loads of the this year. I did get some alpine strawberry seeds earlier in the year, I have not done anything with them yet I was planning on sowing them in Autumn and over wintering them in the greenhouse then plant them out next year. Don't know if it will work or not we will see :)

I did this last year PP and got loads of plants.  They are dead easy  :)  They are planted out under shrubs and trees in a shady border but the blackbirds are avid fans so you have to be quick to pick them  :lol:  Oh well, they are pretty ground cover in a spot not much else grows   ::)

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 07:55 »
This year, just for fun, I took a small slice off a strawberry and sowed the seeds. Germination was poor, but I have 2 small plants growing nicely, and one is producing runners already. I don't expect they will be anything like the parent fruit, but I just like experimenting with things like this.

xx
Where to buy strawberry seeds??

Started by infowarrior on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 11, 2008, 21:22
by richyrich7
xx
Strawberry seeds

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 05, 2021, 10:03
by mumofstig
xx
strawberry seeds

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 09:08
by bigben
xx
Strawberry Seeds

Started by wyandotty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 16, 2010, 15:13
by DD.

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 40 queries.