strawberry seeds

• 2 Replies

Robin Redbreast

• Experienced Member
    • http://alandkell.blogspot.com/
strawberry seeds
« on: April 29, 2012, 22:07 »
have sown some about a week ago and like other things have been in the greenhouse under fleece how long should i wait for germination and do they need alot of heat ie would they be better started in the conservator? :blink:
Little Robin Readbreast
Sat upon a rail.
Niddle, naddle went his head;
Wiggle, waggle went his tail.

allotmentann

Re: strawberry seeds
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 07:37 »
Hi Robin, I grew several varieties from seed last year, I seem to remember that they all took a while to germinate and I had no luck at all with one variety. Mine were done at home, as it is easier for me to keep an eye on them. They didn't have any special heat to help them to germinate. I did get loads and loads of beautiful little strawberry plants, the problem that I had, was that they grew so slowly, they never got to a size I could put out to harden off before the frosts started and I ended up having to keep them indoors over winter. Through the winter I have gradually lost them all, I thought maybe this was because the leaves would die back, a bit like ones grown outdoors, and they would start to come alive in spring, but they didn't! A bit disappointed really as a lot of effort had gone into growing them and caring for them. I am not sure that I would try again without a lot more advice! I hope you get a bumper crop of plants and more success with getting them to a good size than me!

bigben

Re: strawberry seeds
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 09:08 »
If my memory serves me right I think the ones I sowed last year were meant to be sown earlier than last week. I think you will get plants once the sun starts to shine but might not get much from them this year - even planted earlier this would be the case. So plan on trying to get good root systems from them this year ready for a crop next season.

xx
Strawberry seeds

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 05, 2021, 10:03
by mumofstig
xx
Strawberry Seeds

Started by wyandotty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 16, 2010, 15:13
by DD.
xx
strawberry seeds

Started by bezzer29 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 14, 2014, 00:58
by Trillium
xx
Where to buy strawberry seeds??

Started by infowarrior on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 11, 2008, 21:22
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 38 queries.