Identifying tomato plants

• 4 Replies

Redcoat

Identifying tomato plants
« on: May 13, 2021, 19:48 »
Hello everyone, I'm a relatively seasoned gardener but have made a rookie mistake...... only had one label for each tray of pots of tomatoes.  I forgot and moved them around,so now I don't know which are which !!

They are Herzfeuer (cordon) and Red Alert (bush).  I'm watching them a they grow to see if some 'break' at the growing point to become bushy, but I can't see much difference at the moment.

Will there be a way of identifying them as they grow or are cordons and bush toms made by the way we manage them?   

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Identifying tomato plants
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 23:03 »
The cordon variety will have one strong stem that continues upwards, yes some buds will try to grow from where the leaf stalk meets the main stem, which you should remove - but it should be obvious that it has a main stem.
Red Alert will grow bushy (obviously  :lol:) and final height is 18ins to 2 ft at the most, seen side by side with the cordon, you should easily tell the difference as they get a bit bigger.
That all seems a bit vague, I know, but it should be easy,  to tell the difference as they put on a bit more growth.

Redcoat

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 07:09 »
Thanks mumofstig, just as I thought really.  Patience is not my forte I'm afraid as I wanted to start putting them into their final places. Some have got a first truss so I'll keep a close eye on where the next shoots come from.   I'll give them another week and report back.

So, repeat after me................. next year I'll label every pot, next year....    :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 08:43 »
Ahh, some have a flower truss, that helps!
Are the flowers at the end of the stem, or has the stem carried on growing up after the flowers?
If the stem has carried on upwards - then that plant is probably a cordon. If the stem ends in flowers then it's a bush  :)

Redcoat

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 08:19 »
Ahh, some have a flower truss, that helps!
Are the flowers at the end of the stem, or has the stem carried on growing up after the flowers?
If the stem has carried on upwards - then that plant is probably a cordon. If the stem ends in flowers then it's a bush  :)

So far, two are definitely Red Alert.  The jury is out on the others, but there is no rush.  I topped up their pots with fresh compost to encourage a few more roots while they are 'in custody'.

xx
identifying young plants

Started by Whippet01 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 22:04
by Yorkie
xx
Help identifying tomato problem

Started by burningmatt on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 19, 2011, 20:51
by Jay The Digger
xx
tomato plants

Started by wyandotty on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 21:43
by Babstreefern
xx
Do my tomato plants look ok?

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 12:38
by emptydraw

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 45 queries.