Raspberry failure

• 8 Replies

Sleepingpopman

• Experienced Member
Raspberry failure
« on: June 29, 2018, 23:00 »
Hi everyone. About 6 weeks ago I bought 2 raspberry plants, (1 summer & 1 autumn) & a blackberry from asda, they all looked very healthy. I put all 3 in the same patch of ground which I had prept with grow more a week before. I planted the 2 raspberries using there own short canes, leaning them back to a 5' solid fence & all was well until we got all that heavy wind which laid 1flat, I stood it back up & put a 4' cane behind both of them & fixed them to the canes, within a week the 1 that blew over the leaves have all gone brown & looks dead, didn't appear to have broken the stem & now the other 1 is also turning brown. The blackberry still looks very healthy.
Any thought ?
Keith.

snow white

Re: Raspberry failure
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 07:39 »
I know this is a daft question, but I assume you have kept the soil moist.

lettice

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 08:40 »
Surprised as my Autumn raspberries stand up well in the wind, mainly around October. They become so bushy that they blow but not over.
Do string them up about every foot across their frontage, they grow against a fence.

Raspberries do need watering very regularly as you will notice they dry out very quickly and I water them most days now they are just starting to set fruit
This hot spell I've been doing it everyday, that's at the bottom of the plant.

One important thing is before planting raspberries is to saturate the roots in a bucket for a day, as in the canes will have probably dried out.
Also I'm not sure planting them in May is a good idea, Ive always known the time to plant raspberries is in Autumn and can be tried in winter time.

Sleepingpopman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 10:14 »
Hi & thanks for replies so far ;). I did give them a good soak before planting & have kept them well watered since. The way the leaves look it looks like wind damage ( the top 8" of both plants still look healthy) & this was why I planted them against this fence as the wind here usually comes across the farmers field which is behind the fence ???. I hope in one way the wind isn't the reason as later this year (after harvesting) we plan to re-plant our 2 patio apple trees out of tubs direct into this patch :unsure:. I was a bit took back that they were available at this time of year but presumed they just wouldn't fruit this year, I noticed yesterday that Asda still had them for sale but hey there a supermarket not a garden centre ???
Keith  :(

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 11:13 »
If the fence is a solid barrier the winds will hit it and then swirl over the other side. Having said that, I believe 1' of fence gives 7' of shelter on the other side. If the top leaves are ok then am not sure what is causing it as it's usually the top  leaves that are first to react to problems.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Sleepingpopman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 09:27 »
Hi again folks  ;) I have (since planting) read that you are supposed  to cut the cane down to about 12" when you plant, I didn't. ??? Is it to late to do that ?  They were not bare canes, they were in pots so I just took them out of the pots & planted them & followed the label instructions. :nowink:
Keith.  ::)

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 12:09 »
It would depend on the time of planting. I would assume they'd already been cut down in spring so just see how they go this year.

Sleepingpopman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 10:03 »
Hi Folks   :)
A follow up to raspberry conditions both plants/canes have healthy green
main stems & new green growth at the top  ::), making them about 2' taller
than when I bought them now almost 5' tall also the autumn fruiting 1 is in
flower  :) but both plants/canes are full of dead leaves from ground to new
growth  :(.
Do I leave the dead leaves or remove them ??  :unsure:
Keith  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 10:12 »
It doesn't matter, the leaves will drop anyway. As long as the new growth is green they'll be fine. Try to keep them watered even though that's difficult at the moment.

xx
pea failure

Started by tontom on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 13:49
by chris23005
xx
onion failure

Started by ExmoorMist on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 14, 2010, 09:05
by tiny50
xx
Certain failure for chillies?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post March 27, 2014, 19:50
by gobs
xx
Spinach failure..

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 02, 2012, 06:44
by Benandbill

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 40 queries.