Plastic v polythene polytunnels?

• 3 Replies

sally10

• Chickens make me smile everyday !!
Plastic v polythene polytunnels?
« on: March 29, 2011, 21:43 »
Hi,
I am still trying to find a reasonably priced walk in polytunnel and found one on eBay (new) but I see it's plastic not polythene like the more expensive ones !

Will produce just sweat in the plastic one ? Or will it be ample for starting things off and growing things in the latter months ?

Thanks

compostqueen

Re: Plastic v polythene polytunnels?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 10:19 »
The proper PT covers are very stretchy to allow them to go over the hoops and be stretched into position without tearing. They will also have more weather proofing capabilities as the cheaper stuff will break down quicker

peskypixie

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 19:09 »
Hi, we were very lucky with our polytunnels. Got the hoops for free (a place opposite closed down and although they were very rusty and had no connectors my hubby lashed up a suitable structure. We went for the polythene as it is much more hard wearing and cost us about £250. Hubby then built doors etc using conservatory roofing. This first one is a biggie (approx 10ft x 30ft) so it made sense to go for the more expensive sheeting. If yours is small and you can afford to replace the plastic every 3 years or so - then why not? It will still be great for potting on and cucumbers would love it! I personally think that the condensation factor would be negligible as when it gets hot the moisture will evaporate any way as you will have to leave the door open? The second one came via a friend - it is a factory produced one about the same size but we paid £250 for that one - doors are a bit flimsy though. There are so many abandoned garden centres and markets gardens around (well near me anyway) go and be cheeky! Also try free cycle - you will be amazed at what people are willing to give away for free! Best of luck!

rozalia

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 20:09 »
We had to replace the polythene on our polytunnel a couple of years ago and bought a huge sheet of it from a firm near Nelson (my husband can't remember the price but he wouldn't have paid a lot!).  If you can get the hoops free this is a reasonably cheap way to do it.

xx
polythene for polytunnel

Started by emotion-2003 on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post February 09, 2012, 22:41
by emotion-2003
xx
polytunnel polythene

Started by redwine@roses on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post March 09, 2010, 12:59
by mumofstig
xx
polythene greenhouse?

Started by chumpchange on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 23:02
by Chillitoes
xx
About to buy a tunnel - what polythene?

Started by ambodach on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post January 08, 2015, 17:07
by m1ckz

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 38 queries.