Chick attacked by rat - Update plus pic

• 5 Replies

kegs

Chick attacked by rat - Update plus pic
« on: December 29, 2011, 10:39 »
I've got 4 table bird chicks in a brooder ring in the garage and on Tuesday 27th I could hear them squealing in panic.  I called my OH and we rushed into the garage to find 3 chicks as far away from the brooder light as they could possibly get and the forth chick slumped on the floor near the light and near a hole in the brooder ring where a rat had eaten through and attempted to drag the poor chick backwards through the gap.  I thought it was dead but when I picked it up I could see several bite marks on it’s leg and a toe hanging on by a thread.  I washed it and sprayed it purple and put it in th house, thinking that it wouldn’t survive the night but it’s still with us now, eating, drinking and chirping.  It can’t put any weight on it’s leg yet which is swollen and possibly turning blue although that could be the purple spray.

Questions:  can anyone tell me of a rat poison that’s safe to use around chickens and children?

Can a chick survive with such injuries or would it be kinder to put it out of its misery now?

Assuming it survives, when it’s time to dispatch it are we able to eat a chicken that’s been bitten by a rat?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 13:35 by kegs »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Chick attacked by rat
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 10:47 »
eradibait is safe for all animals except for rodents - also you might want to think about getting traps (not the life catch ones but the bigger versions of the old little nipper types) Obviously with both the poison and the traps put them out of the way of other animals (I put rat blocks in lengths of tubing and underneath bins etc.
Can the chick move his/her leg? it could be dislocated and will need snapping back in as soon as possible  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

kegs

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 10:55 »
Thanks Joyfull for the prompt reply. I'll get the Eradibait etc. ASAP.

The chick has today started stretching it's leg out so I don't think it's dislocated but just swollen and obviously painful. 

Sorry, I know it sounds awful, and I do want it to get better, but any ideas/views on whether it's safe to eat?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 11:09 »
well rats carry weils disease and I'm not sure if this is killed off by heat - keep an eye on the chick to see if it develops any flu type symptoms (yes I know they don't catch colds but it may show up as a respiratory infection)  :(

http://www.knowsley.nhs.uk/health-a-to-z/w/weils-disease/

If no symptoms then I would risk it and cull when ready.

kegs

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 11:45 »
You're a star.  Thank you.  :blink:

kegs

Re: Chick attacked by rat - Update plus pic
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 13:44 »
I'm still nursing the chick in the house and she is recovering well.  Her leg was very blue and swollen but is now turning a healthier pink but her toes worry me as one is now pointing in the opposite direction and the other looks very black.  She still can't put any weight on the leg at all but is at least attempting to move round her brooder by hopping and using a wing for balance. 

Is there anything else at all I can do to help her toes or improve her recovery?  When should I put her back with the other chicks (this is the 4th day that they have been apart)?
P1020993.JPG
P1020995.JPG

xx
Attacked hen update - please help

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 07, 2010, 15:44
by NormandyMary
xx
Update on Chicken attacked by fox

Started by JMF on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 10, 2012, 16:30
by JMF
xx
chick attacked

Started by Lastcast on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 11, 2010, 12:24
by Lastcast
xx
chick update

Started by jonandjen16 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 10, 2008, 09:58
by Vember

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 40 queries.